What's new

Sony BD350 and HK254 (1 Viewer)

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I'm not sure if I have everything set up properly...here's my issue. I am not getting any kind of indication that the receiver is getting a DTS master or dolby true HD signal. I just get a "DTS" on the receiver display.

The bluray is set to output DTS-HD, and the disc (rolling stones) is also set to output as well.

Connections are as follows Component video to AVR and optical out to AVR.

Shouldn't the receiver say something different? The receiver manual (yes I had to get it out :frowning: ) does not state what the display should read.

Any ideas?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You will not get dtsHD with an optical connection for audio. Not possible.
To hear the Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD master Audio, you need to use an HDMI cable. You can get some HD audio with 5.1/7.1 analog connections, but since the BDP-S350 doesn't have the analog outputs, that's not going to help either. The best you'll get with an optical connection is regular Dolby Digital and regular DTS.

Why are you using component cables with an HDMI capable receiver and player?

See the first user review on this page, for that receiver, then let us know if you have a similar experience. You'll need to scroll down some:
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...801223&sr=1-24

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
That's kinda what i figured.

Im using composite cables because my TV does not have HDMI. It's only about 5 years old (Philips CRT HDTV) and my significant other would not let me decommission its yet. It's my understanding that receivers will not "downconvert" an HDMI in to a component out. We got the Bl-ray due to my year long moratorium on getting SD DVD's "because we will get a blu eventually--do you really want to watch it in SD?"

I did read the fist review, and boy is that guy grumpy. Fan noise is not an issue and the surround modes work fine. I can't comment on HDMI yet :frowning:

The BD-350 does have a set of analog outs on it. If i connect those instead of the optical out will that get me better sound?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No, that's even worse, because they aren't 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. They are only the red & white stereo analog outputs. The best you'll get from those is Pro Logic (simulated surround).

The Sony 300, 301, and the new 550, have the right analog outputs.
Sorry........ :frowning:

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I noticed in the BluRay setup I can choose where the sound comes from, and where the video comes from. If looks like I can probably connect the HDMI and use it only for the sound. If I have to run the Blu Ray component cables direct to my TV I will.

I emailed sony tech support to verify this before I order HDMI. Hope it works!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Let us know...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Connecting the component cables directly to your TV for video and HDMI directly to your receiver for audio should work just fine. You should be able to find an inexpensive HDMI cable online for $12 or less to try.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sony tech support says no, but I might just order up the cable and try anyway.

Can anyone here give it a shot with theirs first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks