Sony AVD-C70ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeran Kuenzie, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Jeran Kuenzie

Good morning everyone! I hate to make my first post an "is xxx good" post, but I'm afraid I need to. I'm trying to get away from the HTIB setup, but still have limited space and budget, not to mention the WAF (see, I'm learning already!!). I was wondering if the Sony AVD-C70ES which is a receiver/amp/dvd all-in-1 was a good alternative? I have no idea as to speakers yet. I still have quite a bit of research to do on that end. Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Now that they have been discontinued, I think this thing is actually not a bad deal for their current pricing. I have not heard it, but it seems like a good starter piece. Your only limitations in the future are that it is not going to be easy to expand upon, but it could be stuck in a bedroom or something down the road. There are supposed to be new models coming out soon to replace the S50 and C70 though.

3. Jeran Kuenzie

I read some reviews of this receiver the other night and apprarently there is some kind of problem with the sub-titles turning on in the middle of a movie for no reason. Has anyone heard of that or had that happen to them?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I had a similar problem with another Sony DVD player, but it only happens on select discs. If I selected English subs, I would get French (if you select French, you'd get French), and if you turned them off, they would come back on. I would have to go to the main setup menu and make my selection again when this happened, then everything was OK.