What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I've seen the film, "After the Dance" (1935). Many years ago. And I honestly don't remember a single thing about it. Still good to have another Nancy Carroll film out there on DVD, as she's not too well represented, other than a couple of films on the Cary Grant set, from her Paramount heyday. Although I frankly would have been more pleased had Sony gone with another Carroll title, "Atlantic Adventure" (1935), with Lloyd Nolan, which I've never seen. Something to do with a murder on an ocean liner, I believe. Always sounded like potential fun. But you never can tell. These vintage Columbias can sometimes be hit or miss.

Sure would have liked some more Buck Jones or Jack Holt items, though.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've seen the film, "After the Dance" (1935). Many years ago. And I honestly don't remember a single thing about it. Still good to have another Nancy Carroll film out there on DVD, as she's not too well represented, other than a couple of films on the Cary Grant set, from her Paramount heyday.

By a strange coincidence, I today came across this photo on the Internet:

After The Dance 2.jpg

Very much a 1930s publicity shot.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Dear Sony-

you don't seem to be releasing any of your ANN MILLER MUSICALS

what's up with that?

Reveille with Beverly
What's Buzzin Cousin?
Hey Rookie
Jam Session
Eadie Was A Lady
Eve Knew Her Apples
The Thrill of Brazil

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Dear Sony-

what's up with that?

Reveille with Beverly
What's Buzzin Cousin?
Hey Rookie
Jam Session
Eadie Was A Lady
Eve Knew Her Apples
The Thrill of Brazil

Except for "Hey Rookie" The rest have aired on TCM and GeTTV.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Sorry for the incomplete post. Old hands are not working well this morning.

...and THE GOOD HUMOR MAN w/Jack Carson leading The Captain Marvel Gang in battling badguy George "Superman" Reeves. A Frank Tashlin script that has lots of Warner Brothers cartoon-like gags.

I have a VHS copy of this on the Goodtimes label and it has appeared on TCM and GetTV but I'd love to get a DVD copy.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I would love to see all of the above posts films released on dvd . Also please finish Boston Blackie and Lone Wolf film series . I can hope .

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well, I'd love to see decent DVDs or MODs of four early-'30s Columbia mystery-horrors -- Fog, Night of Terror, The Ninth Guest and The Menace.

But, given the slowdown in classic catalog output from the Sony Pictures Choice MOD unit, I'm afraid I'm not going to hold my breath.... -_-

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Dear Sony-

what's up with that?

Reveille with Beverly
What's Buzzin Cousin?
Hey Rookie
Jam Session
Eadie Was A Lady
Eve Knew Her Apples
The Thrill of Brazil

Well, I tried to do an Ann Miller box set, but as usual, they were completely uninterested.

Mike S.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, I tried to do an Ann Miller box set, but as usual, they were completely uninterested.

Mike S.

I like Ann Miller a lot, but in truth I know her only from her films at MGM. I'd love to have her Columbia films. I wonder if Sony would have been more receptive to the idea of a box set of Rita Hayworth's early B-feature movies like The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt and Convicted, which is based on a story by Cornell Woolrich.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well, I'd love to see decent DVDs or MODs of four early-'30s Columbia mystery-horrors -- Fog, Night of Terror, The Ninth Guest and The Menace.

But, given the slowdown in classic catalog output from the Sony Pictures Choice MOD unit, I'm afraid I'm not going to hold my breath.... -_-

But they need revenue.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It's interesting that Warner has a wildly successful MOD program but Sony and Fox can't figure out how to do it right.

I know. It should be easy to do. New releases every week. Web site to pass along information and sales. Emails sent out with new releases. Someone to run it that knows the films history and cares about it. That's the main point.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
DVD recorders are hard to find, but still available (Walmart on line). I have recorded and made my own DVDs of hundreds of movies shown on TCM including the Ann Miller Columbias. The quality is generally very good, especially if the alternative is nothing, and very easy to do. Posters of almost every movie are on line, and I use plot write ups and reviews from IMDB for the backs.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
DVD recorders are hard to find, but still available (Walmart on line). I have recorded and made my own DVDs of hundreds of movies shown on TCM including the Ann Miller Columbias. The quality is generally very good, especially if the alternative is nothing, and very easy to do. Posters of almost every movie are on line, and I use plot write ups and reviews from IMDB for the backs.

I have one and have the 5 Peppers recorded. I just have a problem with the TCM logo visible.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc

Mike S.
Ouch!! Thanx for trying Mike!
Ann was at Columbia from 1941-1946, starring in B musicals at the same time as Rita was making her Astaire & solo musicals.
I consider these films rare gems.... Ann as the star and headliner of her own films, which did not happen at MGM where she was a supporting player.

These Miller musicals would complete my movie musical library

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I'm with everyone on the Ann Miller set. I've always wanted to see EADIE WAS A LADY with Joe Besser top-billed with Ann.
When I look at my Warner Archive shelf and see my complete sets of Saint, Falcoln, Bowery Boys, Bomba and Monogram westerns and think about what Sony COULD be doing with their MOD program....
I can imagine complete sets of Boston Blackie, Whistler, Crime Doctor, Jungle Jim, etc. as well as Buck Jones, Tim McCoy, Bill Elliott & Charles Starrett sets of westerns as opposed to paying $15-$20 each for one 60 minute B-western.

shawb4

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Shaw
I'm with everyone on the Ann Miller set. I've always wanted to see EADIE WAS A LADY with Joe Besser top-billed with Ann.
When I look at my Warner Archive shelf and see my complete sets of Saint, Falcoln, Bowery Boys, Bomba and Monogram westerns and think about what Sony COULD be doing with their MOD program....
I can imagine complete sets of Boston Blackie, Whistler, Crime Doctor, Jungle Jim, etc. as well as Buck Jones, Tim McCoy, Bill Elliott & Charles Starrett sets of westerns as opposed to paying $15-$20 each for one 60 minute B-western.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks