What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
For September, per ClassicFlix.com -

Best Man Wins (1948) - Edgar Buchanan, Anna LeeGirl in the Case (1944) - Edmund Lowe, Janis Carter

Both are new-to-DVD.... still hoping for more Columbia comedy shorts (i.e Harry Langdon, etc).

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
RBailey said:
Let me add one more title to the "Please, Sony, Please!" list ...

THE GOOD HUMOR MAN with Jack Carson, Lola Albright and George Reeves.
Love this movie . Jack Carson was a riot in this . Lola Albright was very Lola Albrighty . Which isn't bad .

FrankXS

Second Unit
If you can continue to ask for Jack Carson's Good Humor Man......I'll keep asking for Joan Crawford's They All Kissed the Bride. Warner has delivered every Crawford title except for the elusive Letty Lynton.....Come on Sony!!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
ahollis said:
Least we ever forget THE GOOD HUMMOR MAN.PLEASE RELEASE THIS ON YOUR MOD PROGRAM.

Who knew Jack Carson was an action star? An incredible amount of violence in that trailer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Vic Pardo said:
Who knew Jack Carson was an action star? An incredible amount of violence in that trailer.
Yeah I know. Young women and children in trouble and the frozen body. Today it would be a super hero movie, instead it really just a very likable fun comedy.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I guess you could say THE GOOD HUMOR MAN is sort of a super-hero film. Carson is a member of the neighborhood kids' Captain Marvel Fan Club (the kids' battle cry is Captain Marvel's name backwards) and the main villain is George "Superman" Reeves. One of the bad guys is stuntman David Sharpe who doubled Tom Tyler in Republic's 1941 Captain Marvel serial.
Also, the script is by Warner Brothers cartoon director Frank Tashlin before he became a full-fledged live-action director for Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis. Tashlin's script is full of cartoon gags. It's a real treat and I'd love to retire my GoodTimes VHS copy.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
RBailey said:
I guess you could say THE GOOD HUMOR MAN is sort of a super-hero film. Carson is a member of the neighborhood kids' Captain Marvel Fan Club (the kids' battle cry is Captain Marvel's name backwards) and the main villain is George "Superman" Reeves. One of the bad guys is stuntman David Sharpe who doubled Tom Tyler in Republic's 1941 Captain Marvel serial.
Also, the script is by Warner Brothers cartoon director Frank Tashlin before he became a full-fledged live-action director for Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis. Tashlin's script is full of cartoon gags. It's a real treat and I'd love to retire my GoodTimes VHS copy.
I thought I recognized Tashlin's touch in those gags, and was surprised when I looked up the director and saw it was Lloyd Bacon. Now I have to see this movie.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
FrankXS said:
If you can continue to ask for Jack Carson's Good Humor Man......I'll keep asking for Joan Crawford's They All Kissed the Bride. Warner has delivered every Crawford title except for the elusive Letty Lynton.....Come on Sony!!
Ah, a Joan Crawford fan. I love Mildred Pierce and I thought she was great in it, but other than that, I've never understood her appeal. What do you like about her?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
October titles are -
ad.jpg
ae.jpg

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
More of October titles (all had previous DVD releases) -
Screamers (1995)
Ride Beyond Vengeance (1966)
QB VII (1974)
Pennies from Heaven (1936)
Brainscan (1994)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
JoeDoakes said:
Ah, a Joan Crawford fan. I love Mildred Pierce and I thought she was great in it, but other than that, I've never understood her appeal. What do you like about her?
Joan Crawford was unlike anyone else in Hollywood. For that reason alone, she's a source of endless fascination. MILDRED PIERCE is, IMHO, clearly her best film, a convergence of a great novel, a good screenplay, a great director and an incredible cast and, of course, the peak of Hollywood Golden Age production values. But I like a lot of her other Warner Bros. melodramas, including FLAMINGO ROAD, HUMORESQUE, GOODBYE MY FANCY, THE DAMNED DON'T CRY and THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS. I definitely prefer her post-MGM period, starting around 1945. Robert Aldrich's AUTUMN LEAVES (1956) is pretty damned good, too. And let's not forget her "Freudian" western, JOHNNY GUITAR, reportedly one of the inspirations for ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. She returned to MGM for a 1953 color musical, TORCH SONG, which is completely insane. She does a number in brownface that has to be seen to be disbelieved.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
For November, via DVD News Flash:

CACTUS FLOWER (1969)DOCTOR FAUSTUS (1968)DON'T RAISE THE BRIDGE, LOWER THE RIVER (1968)THE END OF THE AFFAIR (1955)FIRE DOWN BELOW (1957)THE LADY OBJECTS (1938)LAND RAIDERS (1969)PLATINUM BLONDE (1931)RETURN TO THE BLUE LAGOON (1991)

Still waiting on more Columbia comedy shorts. Bring on Harry Langdon, Andy Clyde, Schilling & Lane, Collins & Kennedy, etc.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
More and more of the Columbia Choice collection are films that have already been out on DVD . I think The Lady Objects is the only new to DVD title in this Nov batch .

It's not like there's not enough new to DVD films for them to release . Like Boston Blackie's ,Jungle Jims, Lone Wolf, Whistler and Crime Doctor .

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
borisfw said:
More and more of the Columbia Choice collection are films that have already been out on DVD . I think The Lady Objects is the only new to DVD title in this Nov batch .
Correct. Everything else is a double dip and/or reissue of a previous OOP DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks