What's new

Sony - Any good? (1 Viewer)

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,
I was in to the sony store yesturday and they have some good prices on 7.1 recievers, but are these any good performance wise? thanks,

Jay

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jarett,

The latest issue of Sound and Vision magazine reviewed 3 newer receivers: JVC, Yamaha and the Sony. Granted, the Sony was from the "DE" series which has gotten a bit of bad press. However, the review (and power output tests) made the receiver appear in a good light.

If you get a chance, check the review out.

Pauli

Grip
Here would be the link to the sound and visions comparisons 897 portion, but unfortunately I haven't got enough posts to post links :P

Testing...

vvv.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=5&article_id=658&page_number=3&preview=

Replace the v's with w :)

Dean_S

Second Unit
I've never been impressed with the sound (amplifiers) in Sony recievers but they seem to be fine when used as preamps. I'm pretty unimpressed by most Sony products EXCEPT their Direct-view TVs, Wega Plasmas (too expensive), LCD computer monitors with Xbrite, and certain DVD players. I used to be a huge Sony consumer (and salesman in car audio) but it's just not what it used to be.

I currently own a Sony 27" CRT, Sony 40" CRT, Sony DVD Changer (my sister has it now), Sony Sports Walkman (POS), Sony TAE9000ESD preamp (hate the remote and it's not reliable). The 27" is being given away to a church youth program soon (replaced by a 37" LCD Panel). The preamp is going on ebay as soon as I replace it (within 60 days). The fairly new DVD changer might be broken but I need to go and look at it before I know for sure. I will be buying an Xbrite 19" monitor as soon as I find a good deal on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks