What's new

Sony announces 'PSX' w/ recordable DVD and 120gb HD (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
from ign.com
"The PSX includes the PlayStation 2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer chips and will allow you to play PS2 games. But this isn't just a games system. The PSX also comes with a TV tuner, DVD recording capability and a 120 gigabyte hard disk. On top of this are USB 2.0 and memory stick support and a built-in Ethernet adapter."

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/421/421027p1.html

Looks like a PVR and game system all in one...and if Sony has a low price point could do what tivo/replaytv has failed to do that is bring on the age of the PVR. Doesn't look to be HD capable though (looking at rear inputs no component can't tell if it has DVI or firewire but haven't seen any reference to them.)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds silly to me... What the heck were they thinking? I don't think they'll sell as many as they think they will.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I, like 52.5 million others, already have a PS2. Now I do have interest in a PVR/DVD-Recorder, but I don't need another PS2. If the PSX costs the same as a competing PVR/DVD-R combo, then great! If not, count me - and probably 52.5 million others - out.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I find integration of consumer products intriguing but this is to put it bluntly to little and way to late in the game. I'm amazed that Sony thinks this will sell to ANYONE since most everyone who wants a PS2 already has one and the PS2 element should add at least $150 to the overall price. Also of all the products that can be integrated a game console seems to offer no benefit for being integrated. I can imagine a perfectly integrated PVR with 2 ATSC tuners for satellite, cable, and OTA with a built in Blu-Ray recorder/pre-recorded player. But why would you add a PS3 to such a combination? Some products can complement each other but others are best suited by themselves such as games consoles.

Also derek I think the age of the PVR will come when all channels become ATSC digital since that is when PVR's will offer a recorded picture EXACTLY the same as the one received. ATSC PVR's will become real cheap if they remove the MPEG-2 encoders since you would then need only an ATSC decoder which will hopefully be under $100 within 3 years.

Devin U

Second Unit
I guess I must be the only one here who is interested in this. Then again, I must be the only person on the face of the earth without a PS2.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
The PS Architecture chart in the link demonstrates Sony's intention perfectly. This is not a game consol, it is primarily a HDD and DVD Recorder with networking capabilities. What I don't know is how Sony intent to price the PSX. If they think they can charge more then other DVD/HDD recorders, then PSX would not do well since most people have PS2 already. And paying more for redundant capacity just doesn’t make sense when you have other alternatives. So we'll have to wait and see how Sony price this to see if it's going to be a hit for not. If the PSX is priced correctly, then we could see Sony’s PS2 gain an even larger share of the gaming market like on the PS Architecture chart.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Me either....no PlayStation 2. Or PlayStation 1. Or Nintendo of any sorts. No X-Box. No Atari. No Gameboy. Except for the original Pong....I have never had any video game machine. Damn, I'm deprived :angry:

I think I need some therapy. What's Dr. Phil's number??

Devin U

Second Unit
well, I got a N64, but havent pulled it out in years. I would love a PS2 or XBOX, but just dont have any time for it.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Derek,

I understand about the whole "time" issue. I have realized (in the past 3 months while I have been traveling a lot), that I don't have much time for all of my toys/hobbies (computers, ps2, home theater, movies, cars, house upgrades, etc, etc, etc)... It is kinda depressing, but at the same time I know that they are they for when I do have time (weekends, vacation, sick, etc, etc, etc). That is probably the main reason I don't think I am ready for a full time girlfriend, it would take away all of my time :)..

Kimo B.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Derek said

You're missing out big time man! What's up wit' that? You just don't like video games? What about PC games?
No PC games either. I like video games, but for unknown reasons, I never purchased one. I think I need serious help.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Danny, I've owned a stupid number of game systems through the years and finally broke down and bought a PS2 last November. I bought one game with it, Gran Tourismo 3, and I've played that for maybe 10 hours total since.

I just lent the system to my friends 7 year old son who probably put twice as many hours on it over the weekend alone! I told him I was just lending it to him, but if I take it back, it'll just be collecting dust again!

Maybe I'll learn...some day!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Maybe Sony will price it the same with a PS thrown in? Their thinking being that it won't cost too much to add & now we might have a lot of people that will go out & buy PS games just to try it out. Hate to say it but I have never owned any video games & I don't want any either. I hardly have enough time to watch my DVD's, tapes, keep up with regular tv & surf the net. But than again, I'm not from the "Digital Generation" :D

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
Since they are probably using the PS2 processor to do the video encoding, it is most likely not very expensive to have PS2 functions. Sony makes their money on the game licenses anyway, and not the hardware, so it's a wise move.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Sony will keep using the Tivo system for the programming of the PVR component in the PSX. Since they already make PVRs using Tivos software, I guess that would make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread