Sony announces PS2 Linux release 1.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianShort, Jan 30, 2002.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

http://www.planetps2.com/news/#PQN348494

2. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Ok, more info from Gamespot
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...843954,00.html

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

This sounds kind of interesting to me. I'm not a huge Linux person but I have played around with it a little. Seems like a pretty good deal.

-Andre F

4. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

woopeeee, like anyone saw anything that came out of the last home development kit Sony put out. Yarooze for the PS1.

I remember playing some crappy level to one crappy shooter put on a PS1 demo disk many moons ago, and that's all that came out of that venture.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Oscar,

Have you played Devil Dice??? That game supposedly started out as a Yarooze title, and it is one of the best games for the PSOne IMHO.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

As usual, well-put Brian.

Sean

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Thanks, Sean.

I own a Yaroze (from the SCEE program), and I see comments slating the program unfairly far too often. It was definitely much higher profile in the UK, with articles in Edge & the Official Playstation Magazine regularly featuring games on their coverdisk - which they're doing again BTW.

A number of universities use the Yaroze systems to aspects of hands-on game programming. This was so successful that Sony actually stopped accepting new members to dedicate the remaining stock of machines/kits to this direction.

There were some really sharp guys involved who will go on to bigger, brighter things. Yaroze gave them their chance to get noticed.

It wasn't designed to spark the next Final Fantasy game.

9. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, I don't know what these people who speak so poorly of the Yaroze venture were expecting. It was a system for hobbiests. It was for programmers who wanted to have fun messing around with the PSX environment and maybe put together a demo or start a game which they could show to perspective employers. It wasn't about the rest of us downloading high quality, free-ware games. That the people who participated enjoyed the program is really all that matters.

10. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Well, yes , i did purchase play Devil Dice back when it was first released. The reason I disagree with everyone porsting about Yarooze is that no one has mentioned the cost of this develoipment unit. If I remember correctly it initially was released for over $1,500.00. Don't know how much it currently can be found for though. Who is able to purchase somethign like that, just to mess around? What would have been great if the development community that forseterd this product distributed their games more than they did, otherwise it is simply irrelevant.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The intial price of the Yaroze program in the West was roughly $750 compared to a base PSX price of $300. A lot of money? Yes. It rapidly came down in price though. It wasn't aimed at the 'mainstream'. Again, it was aimed at budding amateur developers looking for experience & a way to break into the industry. No other console manufacturer has opened up their console & tools in this way - you *have* to give Sony some credit for that surely? I know Sega were planning a 'homebrew' DC development kit before its untimely demise.

I paid 360ukp for my kit, and don't regret a penny of it.

As for "should have spread around" their games more - Yaroze games were featured on the coverdisk & in the pages of the OPSM mag in the UK regularly reaching an audience of over 300,000 each month. There was a great online web community behind it too - which is still going on.

12. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Unfortunetly we had nothing comparable in the United States.

I think it would have made lot more sense to replicate the Yarooze development environment in PC or MAC format. The you wouldn't have to worry about purchasing an additional unit for debugging and testing of your games. CDR's are inexpensive enough. In addition, it would allow you to circulate your project via the internet for other people to eenjoy, debug or improve on.