What's new

Sony announces a new mid year flagship TV series, the Z9D (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sony's new flagship Z9D series of 4K HDR TVs will be available beginning August 8th in 65", 75" and 100" screen sizes.

Here's Sony's press release and more information can be found on my dedicated Sony Z9D website page along with a pdf with explanations on Sony's new advancements.

tn_1200_6b99312c514afe83d082978e38f20201.jpeg.png

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I also wish they included DV so this is not in defense of Sony's new Z9D, but I do want you and everyone to consider the following:

tumblr_oaoq4i0wwq1qlfalqo1_1280.jpg

And here's a cut and past from another forum that goes further on Sony's Z9D's advantages over other 4K HDR TVs:

The Sony Z9D incorporates a 14-bit video signal processing!

"Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR
The 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme's Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR creates a smoother, more natural picture by minimizing its color banding. With 14-bit powerful signal processing, it breaks up the solid bands of color of an 8-bit or 10-bit source, up-converting to 14-bit equivalent gradation, with 64 times more color levels. It delivers graceful reproduction of faces, sunsets, and other areas of subtle color gradation."
[Sony Z9D specifications]

http://www.sony.com/electronics/tele...specifications

I'd say Sony has done a very good job in designing this new flagship 4K HDR display.

I'll be testing this new TV very throughly and I'll post my findings.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The fact of the matter is that DV vs HDR10 is not a tech issue but an availability one. Until all of the streaming services give HDR10 parity with their DV catalogs you need both. Yes the disks only come with HDR10 but we don't live in a disk only world

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, one of the reasons why I'm standing on the sidelines and not buying a new display is because of this DV/HDR10 issue. If my current displays hold up, I don't see me buying into this new format until 2018 at the earliest. I've learned my lesson from previous format rollouts. Now, that I'm retired, I can't afford to make any expensive mistakes.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
VHS vs Beta. Laserdisc vs CED discs (Selectavision). Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, Here we go again.

I'm with our esteemed moderator Mr. Crawford. I'll wait until the dust settles.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Robert: When might your review of the "Z9D" be forthcoming? Until now, I was interested in OLED, but this new Sony has me "drooling." I'm hoping their price for the 65" might come down a bit, maybe closer to the holidays. Right now I'm still enjoying my 60" Pioneer Plasma (KRP 600M)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
If all goes as planned we'll have our allocation of 65" Z9Ds by Tuesday, August 23rd and we'll be testing and evaluating the Z9D over the next few days.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Grrr I'm looking for something 85"ish. I wish this was available in something bigger than the 75" but below the $50k the 100" is going to cost. They have an 85" in the lesser models, why not the flagship? Buying a TV is so hard! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Grrr I'm looking for something 85"ish. I wish this was available in something bigger than the 75" but below the $50k the 100" is going to cost. They have an 85" in the lesser models, why not the flagship? Buying a TV is so hard! :)
How much is the 75" flagship model?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The final closeout sale starts today on Sony's last production of the 65" and 75" Z9D series.

- XBR-65Z9D $1,999, delivered

- XBR-75Z9D $3,999, delivered

Sale prices end when the limited supply sells out as do all future availability of the beautiful Sony Z9D 3D capable UHD/HDR TVs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The final closeout sale starts today on Sony's last production of the 65" and 75" Z9D series.

Sale prices end when the limited supply sells out as do all future availability of the beautiful Sony Z9D 3D capable UHD/HDR TVs.
Is there any place where the 65 inch is still available? Was this a good tv picture and 3D wise?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I'm at CES and can't check inventory, but I believe we still have a few 65" and 75" Z9Ds left. Call our store 914-723-3344

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

That is a great price!

Users who are viewing this thread