What's new

Sony and other brands with 16x9 enhanced mode (1 Viewer)

Mike DB

Agent
I'm looking at the SONY 27 FS120 and also the FS100 (is it still around?) Anyone here with either of these models or other brands that use the so-called 16 x 9 enhanced mode?(Standard 1.33 AR type screen that has a mode where letterboxing delivers all or almost all of the screen's full resolution)

There's a 27FS120 on display at a shop near me but when I tried to access the 16x9 mode with the remote, the mode appeared in black text in the menu, apparently not available. Possibly because it's playing on regular broadcast.

Does this mode only work when you have a DVD running? Can you use it for VHS or Laserdisc letterboxed sources or does it only kick in when it senses an anamorphic DVD? What about broadcast and cable programming? Some TV shows like West Wing are presented letterboxed, can you use it for that?

Any other info about it? How do you like it?

Thanks

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
It only works for the component inputs. My parents have the 27FS120 in their room and I set it up for them and talk about a good picture for a SD TV.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For regular shows that are broadcast in "letterbox," using 16:9 mode on your 4:3 set would have the opposite effect that you want - it would result in an even more "squished" picture that would be quite distorted with larger black bars.

Shows that are broadcast over basic cable (and are not HD) can not be anamorphically enhanced (i.e. able to take advantage of a set's 16:9 mode).

Widescreen displays have a variety of "stretch modes" that can adjust the geometry of a 4:3 image for display in a 16:9 environment. Among these modes is usually a "zoom" mode which would be used to help minimize or eliminate the black bars on shows such as West Wing.

Also, be sure that in order to take advantage of 16:9 mode on your TV, your DVD player must be set to output a properly formatted image for a "16:9" display (currently, it's probably set to "4:3" or "Letterbox").

Good luck.

-Jason

Mike DB

Agent
Can anyone else verify that the 16x9 enhanced mode only works with the component (rgb) inputs? I downloaded the owner's manual for the FS100 and it says the function only works when TV is in "video" mode....that's all, one sentence.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It's possible that the store was using the "Antenna" input (via screw-on f-connector/coaxial cable) and the 16:9 mode simply isn't available for that input (it would kinda make sense, too). 16:9 should not be relegated solely to the component inputs - S-Video should also support it as well as composite (most DVD players output in all 3 formats, 16:9 OR 4:3). The manual's reference to "Video" mode could very well refer to any input OTHER than "Antenna" (Video 1, Video 2, etc.).

-Jason

John S

Senior HTF Member
Many of these work just that way... My 4:3 set's native widescreen is only available on Component Video, and even then only for 1080i sources. IE: One of the reasons the Zenith DVB-318 was a perfect fit for me, as it outputs 1080i over the component video out.

Just more food for thought on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks