What's new

Sony A9G OLED: Aspect Ratio Issue (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I just got the new Sony A9G. Very impressed in every way but I have one problem:

For all aspect ratios (2.20, 2.55, 2.75, 1.66, 2.35, 1.33) it works fine except for some reason 1.85 goes full screen which is 1.75. This is true with both blu rays and dvds played thru the UBPX700 player, streaming through Roku stick (The Criterion Channel, etc), and on cable (TCM). I have tried all the display setting related to full screen, zoom, etc., but it keeps doing the same thing.

Can anyone give me an idea what adjustment I need to make?

Thanks.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I just got the new Sony A9G. Very impressed in every way but I have one problem:

For all aspect ratios (2.20, 2.55, 2.75, 1.66, 2.35, 1.33) it works fine except for some reason 1.85 goes full screen which is 1.75. This is true with both blu rays and dvds played thru the UBPX700 player, streaming through Roku stick (The Criterion Channel, etc), and on cable (TCM). I have tried all the display setting related to full screen, zoom, etc., but it keeps doing the same thing.

Can anyone give me an idea what adjustment I need to make?

Thanks.
Sounds like you have overscan enabled.
Push the "Menu" button on the Sony remote and select "Picture." Find the "Picture Mode" option and adjust it to "Full Pixel." Momentarily you should see the screen adjust size and the overscan issue corrects itself.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
That worked. Thanks. It just seems though there is no one setting which works for both blu ray and dvd. Only my fourth day with the set, so there is certainly a lot to understand. On the other hand, I enjoy tweaking the set and have tried a variety of setting recommended online. No question though that this is the best set I have ever owned.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That worked. Thanks. It just seems though there is no one setting which works for both blu ray and dvd. Only my fourth day with the set, so there is certainly a lot to understand. On the other hand, I enjoy tweaking the set and have tried a variety of setting recommended online. No question though that this is the best set I have ever owned.
It may need to be adjusted separately for each input.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Well... that too. But it looks like dvds and blu rays will need different settings. We shall see. I am not quite ready to get a professional calibration and am hoping for more suggestions for settings online ( I have found six so far). But even going from the blu ray of MARY POPPINS to the blu ray of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA meant some adjustment. I will figure it out..... as an old airline ad used to say "Getting there is half the fun."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks