What's new

Sony A90J 2021 OLED buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose the more immediate second question of the year is whether to go with the A90J now with the discounted price and ride with it for the next 4-6 years when QD-OLED develops into production at the same or better price point. Or succumb to my FOMO and wait for the next shoot-out on the LG G2 and then hope in another year for the same price point (<$6k for 83").

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Long live the King!

I’m no expert on the state of all the OLEDs out there, but I’m really happy with the A90J. Of course I made the jump from a plasma screen, so I had not experiences with other 4K sets.

That Super Bowl sale pricing is pretty amazing, I don’t regret not waiting for the sale price. It would have been nice to save that much on my purchase. But the quality of the image I’m experiencing now is great. If the LG is better, I can’t imagine by much. But I don’t know. I hope I can get more then 7 to 8 years of good service from the A90J. But I know the days of Sony Trinitron’s lasting 15 years or more is over.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I suppose the more immediate second question of the year is whether to go with the A90J now with the discounted price and ride with it for the next 4-6 years when QD-OLED develops into production at the same or better price point. Or succumb to my FOMO and wait for the next shoot-out on the LG G2 and then hope in another year for the same price point (<$6k for 83").
Essentially, the G2 separates itself as a gaming TV, period. For movies, you'll be hard pressed to notice the differences once the G2 is calibrated. Look at these unique qualities of the G2 to see if it justifies the premium/wait: (1) lighter, thinner (2) full featured gaming TV (3) Web OS vs Google TV (4) 77" and 97" sizes not available with the A90J. Additionally, you're more likely to have to calibrate the G2 because the A90J is color accurate out of the box.

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
That is why I am on this thread. I am about to go and buy a OLED today. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Sony or the LG

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
That is why I am on this thread. I am about to go and buy a OLED today. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Sony or the LG
There is no doubt that the G2 is brighter in both APL and specular highlights, so if you are in a brighter room and need to be in standard/vivid mode to enjoy sporting content, then the G2 will do it better than the Sony.

Additionally, if you are a "serious" gamer then the G2 has the game bar optimizer but the A90J has VRR working well enough, just not as convenient to access and change modes like the G2. Also, A90J Dolby Vision on Netflix is not as good (either too dark or too bright) as G2 Dolby Vision if you watch a lot of Dolby Vision streaming content.

However, in a darker light controlled room where your priority is movie content on 4K disc, Plex or Kaleidescape, the differences are minor enough that I recommend you get the less expensive one at the largest size that's appropriate for your seating distance. I have both the G2 and A90J and enjoy them equally for different reasons as listed above.

Ooops, I should've asked which TV you ended up getting?

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
I just bought the Sony A80J. I had to buy it online because Best Buy and Amazon jack the price up from 1699 to 2499. I found out later that was the 2021 model is that price at Best Buy but I have not ideal why Amazon raised it 's price I got it from all place Wal mart

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I just bought the Sony A80J. I had to buy it online because Best Buy and Amazon jack the price up from 1699 to 2499. I found out later that was the 2021 model is that price at Best Buy but I have not ideal why Amazon raised it 's price I got it from all place Wal mart
They often do that leading up to a big "sales day" in this case they are getting ready for Prime Day so that they can say "PRICE DROP $900!!"

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
Are you the guy that have a youtube channel? I am a big fan. Most people recommend the Sony over the LG. I will get it next Monday. My Panasonic plasma is now going in my bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks