What's new

Sony A90J 2021 OLED buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just received our 2nd large allocation of Sony's 83 A90J Master Series OLED TVs and our third large allocation is scheduled for next week.

196619105_10159191865663445_8844766733216355041_n.jpg

Thank you Sony for prioritizing our company!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's today's delivery from Sony's constrained supply of A90J Master Series and A80J OLED TVs. Thank you Sony for continually extending your support to our customers and our company.

50 TVs today that will fill all of our orders and give us some excess inventory to immediately ship new orders.

JNMNL52

Grip
Real Name
John Lynch
I would like to state upfront that the 83A90J is the best TV I have ever owned. I am totally impressed with the clarity, fine detail, color, pop and brightness of the panel. Thanks to VE's QC program, my panel is flawless. I have a Yamaha RX-A770 AVR with a Definitive Technology home theater sound system. I disconnected my DT Mythos 7 center speaker and use the TV screen as my center channel. I do interpret sound origination/direction on the screen and the sound quality, as far as I can determine, is comparable to the Mythos 7. I am going to install an A/B switch on the center channel so I can compare the two and evaluate further. I wonder what other owners think about using the TV screen as the center channel? The remote was a little quirky in that the Netflix, Prime, YouTube and Disney hot keys initially worked, then quit. I could call up each app through the settings menu or voice control. The YouTube app (only) had no sound. I spent over an hour chatting with the Sony rep who tried everything then wanted to do a factory reset. I refused because that would have erased all of my VE/Jreff calibration settings. So Sony, doing the right thing, is sending me a replacement remote. That said, this week my original remote started working normally again. Like I said "quirky." Maybe it is an artifact in the Android system. I look forward to watching the 83A90J every night. When I first installed it, I was able to catch the last few games of the Stanley Cup and I was in awe. The Olympics and baseball look absolutely stunning. Can't wait for football season. I know the 83A90J is a very strong contender to win the King of the VE Shootout. I have read on other forums, where ego's seem to run high, that a few owners had issues with their panels and returned their TV's for another. These owners are very critical of so called "defects" that do not even show up in normal viewing content. Maybe I am in the minority here, but why go there? This speaks volumes why you should consider purchasing from a dealer that has a QC program. There is no perfect TV, but this one is pretty darn close. If I cannot see a so called "defect" in normal content, it doesn't exist to me. I do not want to know about it because I will start looking for it. I focus on the material in the content and do not look for defects. Doing so, detracts from the content, so what is the point of watching anything? In my view, ignorance is bliss and I just want to enjoy my TV...and I am. My test is, if I can see white ice in a NHL hockey game, and have motion resolution with no blurring, where I can always see the puck, I am very happy. And I am very happy with the 83A90J. If you are thinking of purchasing this TV, do not hesitate, even if you have to finance it. Bite the bullet and pull the trigger. You will not regret it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Any follow up thoughts from you nor other owners?
No buyer’s remorse whatsoever; easily the best television I have ever owned. The video processing is state of the art. 83 is NOT too big at a 9 foot distance; love the extra size it gives 2:35 films. I bought this sight-unseen ( because of COVID lockdowns) solely based on the reviews of the 55 and 65 inch models. It met or exceeded my expectations. My broadcast channels look extremely good with this set - the best I’ve ever seen. And it hasn’t even been calibrated yet !

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I bought a 55" 9AG Sony OLED in late 2019. Great set but it in June it developed a minor flaw---a white vertical line visible mostly in very bright scenes. I had an extended warranty so I had Best Buy look at it. I was expecting at best another 9AG, but since none were available they gave me a brand new 90J. As wonderful as the 9AG was I can say after three weeks the 90J beats in image quality. Still tweaking and trying out different movies and shows. 4K is of course great especially on disc but the upscaling on blu rays is incredible.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I would like to state upfront that the 83A90J is the best TV I have ever owned. I am totally impressed with the clarity, fine detail, color, pop and brightness of the panel. Thanks to VE's QC program, my panel is flawless. I have a Yamaha RX-A770 AVR with a Definitive Technology home theater sound system. I disconnected my DT Mythos 7 center speaker and use the TV screen as my center channel. I do interpret sound origination/direction on the screen and the sound quality, as far as I can determine, is comparable to the Mythos 7. I am going to install an A/B switch on the center channel so I can compare the two and evaluate further. I wonder what other owners think about using the TV screen as the center channel? The remote was a little quirky in that the Netflix, Prime, YouTube and Disney hot keys initially worked, then quit. I could call up each app through the settings menu or voice control. The YouTube app (only) had no sound. I spent over an hour chatting with the Sony rep who tried everything then wanted to do a factory reset. I refused because that would have erased all of my VE/Jreff calibration settings. So Sony, doing the right thing, is sending me a replacement remote. That said, this week my original remote started working normally again. Like I said "quirky." Maybe it is an artifact in the Android system. I look forward to watching the 83A90J every night. When I first installed it, I was able to catch the last few games of the Stanley Cup and I was in awe. The Olympics and baseball look absolutely stunning. Can't wait for football season. I know the 83A90J is a very strong contender to win the King of the VE Shootout. I have read on other forums, where ego's seem to run high, that a few owners had issues with their panels and returned their TV's for another. These owners are very critical of so called "defects" that do not even show up in normal viewing content. Maybe I am in the minority here, but why go there? This speaks volumes why you should consider purchasing from a dealer that has a QC program. There is no perfect TV, but this one is pretty darn close. If I cannot see a so called "defect" in normal content, it doesn't exist to me. I do not want to know about it because I will start looking for it. I focus on the material in the content and do not look for defects. Doing so, detracts from the content, so what is the point of watching anything? In my view, ignorance is bliss and I just want to enjoy my TV...and I am. My test is, if I can see white ice in a NHL hockey game, and have motion resolution with no blurring, where I can always see the puck, I am very happy. And I am very happy with the 83A90J. If you are thinking of purchasing this TV, do not hesitate, even if you have to finance it. Bite the bullet and pull the trigger. You will not regret it.
Does anybody know if the A90J is can fully integrate with Sony's recently launched A9 immersive speaker system with Center Sync that incorporates the TV's audio system as the center channel?

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Subject: BD Player Zoom Feature via HDMI: Will Your OLED TV Block It?

Zoom is an important and fun feature for me though practically no BD players have it. All Oppo models have zoom, though unlike my Pioneer LX500, careless designers omitted control to center on the screen the desired part of the zoomed image. But as Pioneer refuses to issue region free firmware I’m keeping my recently Oppo overhauled 95.

I don’t yet own an OLED TV but I’d appreciate if OLED owners here would run this test: While playing a BD movie hit the zoom button and see if the OLED TV blocks the video and/or audio signal fed to it via HDMI, as this poster had experienced.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/com...ct_ratio_help/

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@TheFOMO,
Yes, from what I'm told, Sony's new HT-A9 audio system works with Sony's A90J and Z9J to take advantage of the TV's ability to use all of the TV's actuators as the center channel speaker.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
@TheFOMO,
Yes, from what I'm told, Sony's new HT-A9 audio system works with Sony's A90J and Z9J to take advantage of the TV's ability to use all of the TV's actuators as the center channel speaker.
This may be the best multichannel solution that eliminates the soundbar altogether - needless to say I'm definitely going to review and compare this to the Trinnov!

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
I had list of material that I had planned on watching when I received my 65” A90J, but life gets in the way and plans change. Now I’m back on track and finally enjoying my A90J. Pacific Rim, The Shallows and Lucy. Wow! The picture is just gorgeous. I’m so glad that I decided to pull the trigger and get it. Even Mrs. C is happy and glad that I got it.

Now it’s time to give back:

What are you coming from?
A calibrated 2016 55” LG B6 OLED.

Why upgrade?
Normally I wait until my tv dies and then I go into a panic, trying to figure out what’s out there and what to get and not get. Kind of like cramming for finals.
So, I thought that it would be a good idea to get current on tv’s and to figure out what I would buy tomorrow if my B6 were to die today. The more I learned, with the improvements made in the last five years and especially this year, the more I wanted to replace my LG.

What models were you considering?
LG’s C1 & G1 and Sony’s A80J & A90J.

Where did you go to get information to help with your decision?
Owners’ threads on forums, reviews, YouTube videos.

Who influenced your decision the most?
The professionals: D-Nice, Vincent Teoh and jrrrf.
Enthusiasts: Stop the FOMO, Whisper Status 74 and Keep it Classy Tech.
Honorable mention: Digital Trends, Abt Electronics, Andrew Robinson.

Why the A90J?
I mainly watch movies and I wanted the picture that is going to be the most accurate. That “looking out the window” look. Plus, the specular highlights. I felt that the A90J was the one for me.

Have you run any test slides for banding, tinting, vignetting?
No.

Are you going to?
No.

Why Value Electronics?
They’re reputation and enthusiasm. Plus, the option for QC, break in and calibration.

Any regrets?
Although the jury is still out, I kind of wish that I had stayed with a 55”. 55” was comfortable for me, but as I watch it more, I find that I’m getting used to it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I’m close to pulling the trigger on the A9OJ sight unseen. Some great posts here too!

Part of my hesitation is COVID related. This is a big and heavy set especially if the 83 inch model is concerned. If one buys from Best Buy, they’d likely deliver and install. But I do not want strangers in my house. Even if they say they are vaccinated, they may be lying. :)

I have been planning to contact Mr. Zohn about how the delivery is done if purchased from Value Electtonics. If it is, I’d need a way to carry it into the house and lift it up on the cabinet and set it up. So I’m looking at ways to move it around and lift it by myself. Plus move the old plasma out of the way too. Maybe build a custom dolly to move the sets around.

How have you guys who did it yourself accomplished moving the new set in and setting it up on a cabinet or wall mount? I assume you had help. I have friends I can call, but I’ve been trying to avoid that. Thanks for any insights.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I’m close to pulling the trigger on the A9OJ sight unseen. Some great posts here too!

Part of my hesitation is COVID related. This is a big and heavy set especially if the 83 inch model is concerned. If one buys from Best Buy, they’d likely deliver and install. But I do not want strangers in my house. Even if they say they are vaccinated, they may be lying. :)

I have been planning to contact Mr. Zohn about how the delivery is done if purchased from Value Electtonics. If it is, I’d need a way to carry it into the house and lift it up on the cabinet and set it up. So I’m looking at ways to move it around and lift it by myself. Plus move the old plasma out of the way too. Maybe build a custom dolly to move the sets around.

How have you guys who did it yourself accomplished moving the new set in and setting it up on a cabinet or wall mount? I assume you had help. I have friends I can call, but I’ve been trying to avoid that. Thanks for any insights.
Hey Nelson,

My 65" A90J came by FedEx (I think that they do all of the shipping for VE, but you'll have to ask them). The guy was nice enough to bring it in for me (they're not supposed to go in your house, but I have some back issues). A few days later my nephew came over to help set it up.

I'd recommend having the delivery guy set it by the door and then you can slide it in on an old sheet or something, but make sure that someone holds the box to keep it from falling over. Then later have friends/family that you trust come over to help you set it up. Even in my youth I wouldn't have been able to do it by myself. Besides, You don't want to take a chance of damaging the set (improper grip, falling over, etc).

Tom C

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks