Sony 945 and JBL N24

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Ed, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

I have been tweaking my home theater alot lately, after finding this site. It is great. Which leads me to the next question. Should I change the crossover settings on the Sony to match the response range of the N24's? Currently it sounds good, however I think I am missing alot of range between the 225Hz and whatever the LFE point on the PB12. Is there a hard and fast rule?

I also picked up the Avia DVD at lunch, will this help me in determing the settings?

Thanks

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

The N24 usable lower frequency is @ -3 dB = 89Hz per Sound & Vision benchmark.
    Since I'm not familiar with your Sony, let me outline what I do.
    My Yamaha RX-V995 has a fixed crossover @ 90 Hz, so since I cannot disable the crossover in my AudioSource SW15 sub, I just dialed the crossover control to its MAX setting - basically taking out the AudioSource crossover and letting the Yamaha do its job!! Works great!!! [​IMG]
    Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Where did 225Hz come from? I would say you want to have the crossover come in at 100Hz or less, especially with bookshelf speakers, even if they extend below 100Hz.

Having a gap is not good.

4. Jim Ed

Jim Ed Agent

Thanks for all the advice, I brought them down to 100hz last night. What a difference in sound. I am not sure why they are set at 225 from the factory.