What's new

SONY 9000ES DVD/SACD player Service Menu? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Does anyone know how to get into the Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player service menu?
Thanks.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks!
Was that in the manual? (I couldn't find it).
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
RAF,
I believe the service menu code can only be found on HTF, the only source for HT info
wink.gif

Keith,
I use the code to check how many hours are on the cd and dvd lasers just to see if I still qualify as a HT addict.
Also on the old S7000 when 2001 would not play, I did an auto alignment of the laser in the service menu to fix that.
The code for the old Sony's ...
Time, Clear, Power On

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
quote: Anything of interest in this service menu?[/quote]
Keith, (and others)
I just became aware of two additional service bulletins regarding the 9000ES and wanted to check my unit to see if the version of my OS was greater than 1.6 (it isn't, so I don't need the mod). For general information, here's what I was told up to this point:
-------------------------------
SONY 9000ES Service Bulletin Updates:
From Frank Pascual (Puerto Rico):
Robert,
Thanks for the guidelines on the 9000es modification Bulletin # 70.
I just hung up the phone. I was talking to Mr. Polanco who is the Sony service manager for Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
It was a great experience. Mr. Polanco reviewed with me Bulletin # 70 documentation and also advised me of two (2) other Bulletins (# 74 June 24, 2001 and #76 July 28, 2001).
Bulletin #74 refers to a problem with the IC that controls the repeat functions on the 9000ES during SACD playback and if your machine OS is Version 1.7 or 1.8 it should be performed, if it is version 1.6 or less there is no need to do it. He explained that it is a very simple task, just replace the IC. If you want to find out what version of OS you have in your 9000ES, you have to enter in the factory service menu.
Bulletin # 76 supersedes Bulletin # 70 and includes the addition of more parts in the filtering circuit that will do a better job dealing with the "Vertical Banding Problem".
The parts to perform the service Bulletins are not in stock at this moment, but he ordered all them while we were on the phone. He expects to have them in one week and he will call me as soon as they receive the parts. He also promised me that if I take the 9000ES to their service center early in the morning (8:00 a.m.), which is about 15 minutes from my home, he will have it ready in the afternoon.
It is my first service experience with Sony and I am impressed! It seems that they take very seriously their High End Product customers.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Frank Pascual
===========================================
Based on the information regarding my early unit, I don't need Service Bulletin #74. As far as the "extra" parts in Service Bulletin #76, when I did #70 it cleared up the vertical banding and I also don't have the chroma bug (might be related, might not.) I'm looking into what additional parts were added to #76 to see if it's anything significant that enhances performance even further. Needless to say, those looking for Mod #70 should be getting Mod #76 instead at this point. I would hope that SONY service is up to speed on this.
Stay tuned for more details....
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

John H

Second Unit
I just checked my 9000 units version and emergency history for playback hours.
Under emeregency history should the 1-10 columns of double digits be displaying all zeros?
I know my 7000 would display all zeros. And was told anything but zeros was a service error code.
My 9000 displays multiple errors if this is the case.
John
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by John H on August 16, 2001 at 11:45 AM]

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My 9000 displays multiple errors if this is the case.
I wonder if attempting to play a CD-R (which can't generally be reliably read by the 9000ES laser) can cause service errors to be logged. Also, if you have Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells on SACD, the version that doesn't work too well in the 9000ES could possibly log an error.
Don't know though, but maybe I should jump into my unit's emergency history and see.
KJP

John H

Second Unit
Kevin,
I have never attempted to play a CDR and I do not own Tubular Bells on SACD.
Athough I have owned the player since Dec 00 it only shows 100 DVD and 3 CD playback hours. I generally use my other player.
I have never had any problems with any disc I have used. Not even a glitch.
63 of my double digit groups display numbers other than "0" or alphabetical characters. They are only in the top horizontal line of each 2 line group.
Don't know though, but maybe I should jump into my unit's emergency history and see.
I would appreciate that.
Thank you,
John
------------------
Link Removed

Keith M.

Second Unit
RAF:
Keep me informed of any information you learn about #76. Remember, You and I were among the first to get #70 done.
I would dread having to go through all that again...
BTW, to enter service mode, are those buttons listed earlier to be pressed on the remote or the unit?
Thanks,
Keith M.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I have a Sony S7700 machine. Twice, over this last week, I've received an error 30:00:00 or something like that. This occurs as soon as I switch the machine on, before I insert a disc. Is this something I need to worry about? What might be causing it?
John

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd bring this up from the dead. RAF, thanks for the info a little while back on the vertical banding service bulletin. I finally called SONY up a few weeks ago to get this taken care of. I also had a problem with the CD tray (it started to move extremely slow, almost "hang" then pop out), and had a problem sometimes with playing a movie (didn't matter which one) and five minutes into it the whole DVD player shut off! So, I figured it was time to send it in, get that fixed, and get the service bulletin taken care of. Now, my last line in the letter to SONY was to fix anything else that I've missed (ie new service bulletins). We'll see if that happens.
Also, while I've been waiting for them to fix my player (they had to order parts, so I guess I know that they are fixing the problem!) I've been using my Sony Playstation 2. All I have to say is thank god I'm not using this for my main DVD player. The picture just flat out sucks compared to the 9000ES, and I've had more problems with discs freaking out in it than I did with my Toshiba 3108! Hannibal just choked after the layer change. It pixelated like crazy. I had to eject the disc, then chapter skip to the chapter after the layer change for it to work right. Ugh. I watched Chasing Amy and Clerks (both of which played just fine on my 9000ES) both choked again on the PS2. Dunno what's wrong with that. Anyway, bottom line...I can't wait for my 9000ES to come home to pappa!
Chris

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Chris,
Keep us posted as to what Sony did when you get your 9000ES back.
Keith,
I decided, at this point, since my 9000ES is working just fine (even a better picture, IMHO, than my Panasonic RP91) that I'll not go for any further modifications unless something significant comes along during my warranty period.
BTW, I entered the service menu using the remote keys. Start the
Title
Clear
Power ON
sequence with the power off for the 9000ES (with red light indicator on). This confused me at first but once I played with it this all worked.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks