What's new

Sony 9000 ES vs. Toshiba 9200 - Picture vs. Price? (1 Viewer)

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello. :)
Calling it an X-Mas present to myself, I'm going to go for broke and buy a true, top-shelf DVD player. Currently, I have a Sony DVP-S330 hooked up to a Sony WEGA KV-36FV15 television. This combo has made me very happy over the past years and has fueled my budding need to get into home theater. The audio part of my system is nill right now, due to the fact of space and "noise" limitations. Anyway, that changes when I move this spring.
I have sampled the 9000 ES a lot and prefer the "softer" look of it's picture, the way it handles picture artifacts and it's operating/menu system. But, after seeing the 9200, I did not think it's sharper picture was any better or worse than what I'm used to. But it is different. And, at most retailers, it can be had for a couple of hundred less than the Sony.
So, taking into account my future purchase of a really good Hi-Def monitor, how would you decide? Get the more expensive player with what I think has 10/10ths the picture? Or save a couple of hundred (maybe even more) for one with 9/10ths the picture?
Any thoughts or opinions would be great! :D
Arvin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Arvin, if you like the picture provided by the 'S9000ES, then go for it. The 'S9000ES is a very solid machine in all respects and offers SACD. The '9200 is also a very good player, and it offers DVD-Audio. If I were in your position, I would go for the 'S9000ES. I feel it is the more solid player, and I would go for SACD over DVD-Audio if I had to choose between them. I feel SACD is the better-sounding format, and SACD offers more titles.

My brother just replaced a Sony 'S330 with an 'S9000ES a couple of weeks ago and is very pleased with the upgrade. The progressive-scan picture on his 36" Sony WEGA (hi-scan) is sweet.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either player, so it comes down to personal preference. Consider build quality, ergonomics (remote, etc.), picture quality, and SACD vs. DVD-Audio. Note that the 'S9000ES as an early SACD player does not play multi-channel SACDs. It still is an excellent audio component.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
As much as I love my S9000ES, if I were shopping today, I would try to get a look at the new 900 for multichannel SACD and the newest generation of progressive scan.

The 9K may still win, but the new unit sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks