Sony 895 vs Yamaha 5590

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim Beebe, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Tim Beebe

Tim Beebe Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    Sony 895 vs Yamaha 5590

Please help me out with this. I'd be saving about $200 on the receiver if I went with the Sony. You can compare the specs at www.bestbuy.com. The Sony has less inputs and outputs, but it still has more than I need. The biggest difference is the Total Harmonic Distortion. For the Sony it's 0.7% @ 8 ohms, 1kHz and for the Yamaha it's 0.06% @ 1kHz according to Best Buy. Other than that, they both have what I want. Is there a huge reason to pick one over the other?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

The yamaha will sound better than the Sony. The sony entry levels sound real muddy to me. Listen for yourself and then decide. The sony can get the job done just not with that great of a sound.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Most people on this forum will tell you to stay away from the Sony "DE" line of receivers. If it's between the Sony & Yamaha go with the Yahama. But I would check the prices on the net because the Sony can be had for $259.99 & the Yahama can be had for $439.99 If you don't mind buying a used receiver? I would check out the Kenwood "THX" VR-7070a that Eric A is selling for $279.00 in the Hardware Forsale Forum. That's a pretty nice "THX" receiver for the price & no I don't know Eric but if I needed a nice receveiver at a low price I would checkout his Kenwood.

4. Tim Beebe

Tim Beebe Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    Alright. I finally bought the first half of my HT system. I purchased the Yamaha from Amazon and all the little things I'll need to complete the system (plugs, wires, surge protector etc). Now all I need to do is build up a little more money and get the speakers! Whoo hoo!