Sony 875 Dvd Pro Scan/301 Disc

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Earl Simpson, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

$394 AT B&H
    Sony DVP-CX875P
    300+1 DVD/CD mega changer with progressive scan
    Item #158DVPX875
    Expected In Stock - 1/8/2003
    E-mail me when it's available. Our Price - $499.99
    The DVP-CX875P combines top-notch progressive-scan DVD picture quality with the ability to store and organize an entire disc collection. Disc Explorer™ displays a list of every loaded CD and DVD on your TV screen, and lets you access discs either alphabetically by title or by slot number.
    When you're playing a 2-sided DVD, and you reach the end of side 1, just touch the "Flip" button on the front panel or remote. The DVD returns to its slot, the disc tray rotates 180º, and the DVD re-loads from the other side and continues playing! Two-sided "flipper" DVDs are rare (fewer than 50 titles out of over 12,000 total), but this changer's clever design can also correctly play a DVD or CD that has been loaded backwards!
    Key Features:
    300+1 DVD/CD changer
    plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD
    plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
    dual-side DVD playback
    108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter
    selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output
    (progressive scan requires a compatible TV)
    Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
    SmoothScan and SmoothSlow picture search
    optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
    2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video, and 1 480i/480p component video)
    input for PC keyboard (to quickly enter disc information)
    multibrand remote control
    192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
    audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
    16-7/8"W x 6-1/8"H x 16-5/16"D
    warranty: 1 year
    designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Earl,

I've owned the 875P since 11/15/2002 and use it daily. It's a great unit, but not quite the best image quality. My main problem is that the red push is so strong, skin tones look out of focus and blurry. I have several AV sources routed to the same input on the TV, so can't really lower the red in the TV service mode. If you wanna load up movies for the kiddies (especially animation), this unit is hard to beat, but if you're looking for the best black level detail for that large screen display, skip this one.

A few more notes:
    The de-interlacer works well with no stair-stepping
    Can't find the "chroma bug"
    No noticable combing
    Digital audio output is limited to 41 or 48KHz

-RJ

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Rob
    Would you know how it compares to the 860/ 870? Big jump in quality? Explorer faster?
    In other words, well worth the upgrade?

4. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Sorry Grant, I don't have any experience with the 860/870. I was waiting for progressive. From what I've heard the explorer works the same. Seek time is pretty low on the 875, but like I said I can't compare it to the older ones.

5. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Good luck finding someone who has it in stock, NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY OR THEIR WEBPAGE SAYS, NO ONE has it in stock, I gave up 2 weeks ago.

6. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

I decided to try and find one of the Sony 875P megachangers this past weekend at some of the local stores.

On Friday nite, I found one at the local hifi store in the area (Flanner's) along with some open box 870D's. They had the 875P on sale for $459, and the open box 870D's for $249. I wanted the 875, but when I asked for one, they said they were out of stock, and expected some in "shortly". They didn't offer any discount for the floor model.

On Saturday, I headed south to a Chicago suburb to the Tweeter store. They again didn't have any in stock, but offered the floor model for $429. I was all set, until they couldn't find the remote.

Finally, on Sunday I checked another local electronic store (AmericanTV). I hadn't seen any of the changers when I had been in their stores before, but their web site showed it, so I figured I would go in and see if they just had them in back someplace. They too didn't have any in stock, but to my surprise we found a recent open box return in their back room. The reason for the return was only listed as "didn't have features buyer expected". They "gave" it to me for $319 and I added a 3-year extended warranty for $29. With sales tax it ended up ~$367.

Hooked it up yesterday afternoon, and everything seems to be OK so far.

I'll run it through it's paces this week, but I'm happy so far.

Now to find a slink-e controller for it!!

7. Earl Simpson

Keep us posted on your results![​IMG]

8. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

OK - I started off loading the CD's into the unit first to see how much room I was going to use up before I started on the DVD's. After I got done loading them into the changer, I used the "LOAD" button on the front of the unit to hopefully get the changer to recongnize those that had CD-Text or thumbnail images on them.

Well, needless to say, only very few of the CD's were recognized in Disc Explorer. The rest just said "CD" for the type.

Well since they're already loaded into the changer, and I didn't write down or lay out the jewel cases in the order I put them into the changer, how do I enter the info about the CD into Disc Explorer? I'd hate to have to start playing each CD to figure out which disk it is. Then hit the folder button to get into Disc Explorer, find the disk and type it in from the keyboard I attached.

What did everyone else do to get the titles into the changer for CD's & DVD's? I know many are using the Slink-e with DVDLobby or a Pronto with SuperNudeList for some of this. I believe the Sony can't upload any info into into a computer program, but can it be doadloaded to? Optimally I would like to organize my CD's & DVD's on some type of computer program, and download it into the 875.

Until I can afford a Slink-e, I need a easy way to type them in unless someone has a better way.

9. Earl Simpson

I just made a list on the computer in Office by number and keep a copy near my equipment. Any test results on the pro scan feature?

10. Earl Simpson

My 875P will be here Fri. I will give a report. Paid 395 shipped.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm on the lookout for a Sony DVP-CX875P. Being the owner of a DVP-CX860 and a CDP-CX450 (400 disc, cd only changer)I have noticed slight CD Text loading per unit. On the CDP-CX860 I loaded a CD Text disc (Aretha Franklin-Queen In Waiting, dual cd. It loads the title in the Disc Explorer as well as the on-screen display. On my CDP-CX450, it does the same, as well as displays the title of each song, when played. Makes me wonder what the DVP-CX875P will do when I load CD text titles.as well as

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Earl, this is a long time coming. You started this thread in December! [​IMG]

13. Earl Simpson

You know, I just wasn't sure. I really wanted an ES version of the same machine. But that won't happen anytime soon. I am happy with Sony's ES line.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Earl Simpson

Worked out of the box! What can I say!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will be recording a dvd-r today to see how it plays in the 875p. A very slight amount of extra red ( the red lipstick in the Terminator 1 DVD comes out perfect(OH! YES!), but an excellent picture. My RCA 6000P had too little red(good picture but had a dated design and I was constantly changing the setup menu to get the correct picture size), so I am happy so far. Ripping a DVD-R now!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Earl, glad you are enjoying the 'CX875P. I too am a bit surprised that Sony has not released an ES DVD megachanger. After all, Pioneer released an Elite model a few years ago. Of course, Pioneer never updated that model. [​IMG]
    By the way, have you heard that Sony will be releasing a (non-ES) DVD/SACD megachanger later this year? If not, search for a thread started here recently by Danny Tse about new Sony SACD players.

16. Earl Simpson

Hey Keith, That's sound like an interesting product. I will have to wait and see what is released. The DVD-R works great. So far this an outstanding mega changer.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Earl, perhaps you will be able to daisy-chain the new DVD/SACD model with the 'CX875P.

18. Bob Drugan

Bob Drugan Agent

EARL,

Would you mind telling us where you got your 875 and how long the wait was?

Thanks,
    Bob

19. Earl Simpson

JR&OADES AND 6TH AVE had them as a price match. Those 3 are authorized dealers.Two of 3 had them in stock as of Fri.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :wink: [​IMG] :b

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Earl, I think you are the smiley king for the HTF. [​IMG]