Sony 875 DVD Changer Sony 775 Single Disc?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shane Martin, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Price is the same. I'm not 100% sure that the deinterlacer and such are the same though. If the PQ is the same, why wouldn't I want the changer?

My only issues are:
    I already own a Stellar Sony 7ES changer and have no need for the CD changing aspects. I expect the 2 channel audio to be worse than my 7ES. What I am intrigued with is the SACD playback. I own 2 SACD'd since I bought them to use with a Toshiba changer and several other budget sacd/dvd-audio which I promptly returned for various issues. They simply don't make players like the used to [​IMG] My old Sony 530D has been rock solid.

Any thoughts on these 2 players?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

the only difference is that the 875 is a changer, otherwise they spec out the same and actually are the same as the 975 except that they won't upconvert.

Crutchfield lists the 875 at $20 more than the 775, ymmv.

I've had the 875 for a few months now and am quite happy with it. It replaced my now-dead Panny CP-72 and actually produces at least as good if not better pq overall. It handles video inserts in special features sections quite well, very seldom does it get tripped up.

I can't comment on SACD performance, haven't tried that yet, but as a dvd player I like it very much. It's got some nice adjustability (can store video settings independent of the tv) and other features the Panny lacked.
    It can be set to automatically windowbox 4/3 discs so I don't have to take the tv out of full mode for 4/3 movies and get black bars on the sides instead of gray--hate gray bars. It will remember where you left off on the last 40 discs you've put in the machine, so you can pick up where you left off even if you've taken the disc out of the player.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

SACD on the 975 is very good.
    I would NOT assume that the 875's performance is equivalent. If anything, I would assume that the 875 and the 775 are equivalent (based on the price and distribution channel). And in that respect, I doubt SACD on sony's $99 player will match SACD on sony's $399 player. Again, all assumptions. The only fact here is that the 975 has very good SACD performance.

On another note, you do realize that the 875 is pretty damn deep (just like any changer).

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The depth of the changer doesn't bother me. My rack is an open rack and has huge shelves.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

specs for SACD audio frequency response, THD, S/N ratio, and audio dynamic range are the same for the 775, 875, and 975 per Crutchfield's website, as are the specs for cd and dvd video performance.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I can't say much about the audio, but I've been comparing the 775 and 975 for picture quality the last couple of weeks using various movies and Avia's resolution patterns.

On component, the only difference I can detect between the two is the YC Delay. The 775 has a +.07 while the 975 has none. I'm not sure how much this is noticable in movies, etc.

However, using an HDMI connection at 480p puts the 975 ahead of component for itself and the 775. The HDMI shows a bit more detail and fewer artifacts. All in all, a general clearer picture that is definitely noticable -- no doubt about it.

For what it's worth, the 975 is definitely built more solidly and has gold connectors in the back. Of course, for $200.00 more you expect this kind of thing. I just hope I can avoid the dreaded tray locking problem plaguing some of the 975s.

I will say, for around $100.00, the 775 is an outstanding deal and a good "holdover" until HD-DVD.
    Reading reviews and other people's opinions on forums, as well as my experience, this current crop of Sony players really excel.