1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony 8" Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Zach Foster, May 10, 2006.

1. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

I currently find myself with a "Panasonic SC-AK66 Dolby Pro Logic Home Theater Compact Stereo System ", found here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

I am pretty budget conscious, so I stumbled upon the proceeding subwoofer by Sony:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

I really would not want to spend any more than this at the moment. Does anyone have any experience with this sub? Would it perform fine as a LFE speaker in my surround sound set up? Thanks so much for y'alls time!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think it would be in your best interest to save for a little while. The Dayton subwoofer from PartsExpress would be a HUGE improvement for about $40 more. If you could find a used model of the older version of the Dayton subwoofer that would be even better.

I couldn't find a frequency response for teh Panasonic system, but the Sony is only listed down to 50Hz which is very weak for a subwoofer. The Dayton would get you an extra octave below the Sony.

3. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Sony subwoofers have never sounded good to me.

The dayton is probably a good bet. If you really cannot spend more I would keep looking for something better. Im sure there are plenty of subwoofers that would be better at that price,

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yamaha subs wouldn't be on my list either (as a former owner of one).

Around your price point I'd also look at the Athena AS-P4000. The Dayton 10" or 12" would also be good choices from www.partsexpress.com

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It sucks.

I have the M20 in a closet, you want it?

7. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

lol, I guess that settles that.