What's new

Sony 7700 - Audio/Layer Question (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Hi,

I'm reasonably happy with the way my Sony 7700 DVD player handles layer changes. They are generally smooth and quick (usually less than a second).

However, I have noticed a disturbing trend. When the second layer begins, the first second of film is usually displayed without sound. Usually this doesn't cause a problem, but if there's dialogue immediately after the layer change, it can be cut.

I believe this may be the fault of the amplifyer (Yamaha DSP-A1) which requires a second to re-adjust to the appropriate sound format being used. Is this true and, if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!

John

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I also have a DSP-A1 connected to a Sony player, but haven't experienced this problem. The amplifier's automatic format selection has always been nearly instantaneous. Does the amp take the same time to lock onto a track after you pause a disc momentarily then press play? If it's the amp's input selection acting up this should result in the same delay you are experiencing after a layer change.

If you want to check whether it's the amp, you could connect the DVD player's digital output to the LD digital input. Then cycle through the LD input options (Auto, Analog, AC-3 RF etc.) until you get to 'Digital'. This will bypass the automatic format selection system. If you still have problems after manually configuring the digital input then the problem is almost certainly with the DVD player; if not then the amp.

Adam

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I experience the same audio drop-out when pausing the disc, then pressing "play". I will carry out your suggestion tonight and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

John

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Yep, definitely appears to be the amp. When I connect the DVD to the CD inputs, via phone leads, the pause release is instantaneous and there are no sound drop-outs. Drop-outs only occur when leaving the player in Auto mode.

Having said that, films like Chain Reaction DTS still can't cope with the manual option. The dialogue is just too close to the layer and an entire sentence is rendered meaningless.

I reckon studios are gonna have to re-think where these layer breaks are positioned.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks