What's new

Sony 725p vs XP30 (1 Viewer)

Shaown

Agent
Hi folks,
Looking for some advice. I'm acquring a KV-36XBR800 this weekend.
I currently have non-progessive Sony 315, thought I should replace it with a progressive.
I've narrowed it to two players.
Either a Sony 725p, or a Panny XP30.
Everything I hear says the Panny is best, but the Sony
1) matches every other component I own.. reciever, cd, tv, vcr
2) is a 100 bucks less
I can use that 100 bucks for a new player in a year...
How much better do you folks the Panny will look? Very noticeable? Slightly? I haven't seen a lotta talk of the 725p, decent?
Thx,
-Shaown

Shaown

Agent
no thoughts? I have that 10% best buy coupon good this week only.. and XP30s are gettin scarce.. I feel pressure to decide (plus I get my TV on Sat)
-Shaown

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
I compared the two. I saw a lot of blocky "pixelation" with the Sony, to the point of being nearly unwatchable on my 8' wide front projection setup on certain DVD's. Not nearly as much with the Panny. Get it instead. It has superior de-interlacing circuitry too.

John_Pang

Grip
I have an XP30 and I just bought my Dad the 725P. I like the user interface of the Sony better (I am more used to it from my DVP7700 and the Panny can be tricky), however the picture of the XP30 is smoother and more detailed (check out Chap. 4 and Mini chase on "Bourne Identity"...much cleaner with the Panny)and the build quality is much better.

Get the XP30.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Why do people feel the need to brand match every component they own?

I would go with the xp-30 based on my experience with one. I haven't seen the Sony though.

Shaown

Agent
Brand matching is sorta nice.. you can sometimes take advantage (to an extent like JVC Compulink, or Sony S-link).
Remotes usually work with each other seamlessly....
-Shaown

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks