What's new

Sony 700 vs. Pan RV32 downconversion (1 Viewer)

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I reported a few weeks back that I was disappointed with the Sony 700P's downconversion on my 4:3 Sony XBR. The image was too soft on anamorphically encoded discs and I returned the unit and purchased a new Panasonic RV32. The downconversion is excellent, nice and sharp. This is a good interim player until I upgrade my monitor.
Another interesting feature on this player is the "zoom." It works only on anamorphically encoded discs, it only zooms to one larger image setting and doesn't exhibit grain or digital artifacts of any kind. It almost fills the screen with discs that have a 2.35:1 OAR and completely fills with screen with discs that have a 1.85:1 OAR. I can't think of one good reason to use the zoom feature other than to educate J6P on what panning and scanning does to an image.
Jeff

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Breck,
Sorry I can't help you with the MP3 question because I don't have anything to test that out. Instructions and notes in the manual on MP3 playback are fairly extensive but unfortunately I don't have a scanner to post the pages. I'm happy to report that I do have CDRs and have had no problem with playing those back.
Jeff

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an addendum to the Panasonic RV32. In the past couple of days, I've noticed the player exhibits brief dropouts from time to time when I play regular commercial CDs. I tracked back to the spot where I heard the dropouts and the player tracked them perfectly. I've heard this on several discs and I always back track to make sure it's not the disc. The player always plays the same section without dropouts. As of yet, no problem with dvds but this does concern me. A player's ability to play CDs IS important to me so this player may be going back. Unfortunately, no material to test out MP3s yet.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread