What's new

Sony 685 SACD player, play DVD-A??? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a Sony 685 DVD/SACD player so I could cut down on space, so I wouldn't have to have a separte CD and DVD player. I started reading up on SACD and purchased a few and now I cant live with out an SACD. One of my favorite bands (The Doors) does not offer a SACD in any form, but they do offer a DVD-A . I don't know how these DVD-A's work, and my player does not say it supports DVD-A. but I was reading on a DVD-A cover and it said its playable in some types of the newer DVD players (mabey the players with the 6ch analog out). I have a DTS 5.1 music disc, and it plays fine, but its not a DVD-A (it playes through optical and 6ch direct). does anyone know if my DVD player can play DVD-A?
Thanks in advance

-Nathan

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Your player does NOT play DVD-A. However, you can still play the DD or DTS "group" on a DVD-A disc via the digital and/or 6 channel analogue outputs of your player. I use my DVD-As in this manner as I haven't yet purchased a hi-res player. When you put a DVD-A disc in a non-DVD-A player, it will still offer you options for surround sound music (sometimes stereo, but not always). I have a DTS 5.1 disc and I would say the sound of the DVD-A's DD or DTS (some have one, some have both) is comparable. I know I prefer my DVD-A's Dolby 5.1 version of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac to my redbook copy.

If you want full DVD-A resolution, however, you will need another player. There are many to choose from, at many price points, should you wish to buy one. Sony, however, doesn't make any players that offer DVD-A playback.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Nope, it can't play the true DVD-A hi rez tracks. It WILL play the alternate DD 5.1 or DTS layer fine. So to cut to the chase, you should be able to play ANY DVD-Audio disk, you just will only be able to get the digital sound layer using the digital connection. You will not be able to use the 6 analog cables/input on your receiver for the true DVD-A (counterpart of SACD which you obviously can play) layer. Confusing enough?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Well, you're probably right. Though there was a time when I thought I'd never see a Sony VHS machine either:). Doesn't matter, there are plenty of DVD-A players out there, with more to come.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Sony collects 50% from the fee as the co-creator of SACD.
DVD-A they split it something like 16 ways....what do you thing they are going to push?

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Each manufacturer has made it pretty clear which formats they'll support. I recently read were Panasonic made it very clear that you will NOT be seeing SACD on their products.

PaulDA, good point about VHS. You never know what the future could hold.

Samsung has gone "all in" with both SACD and DVD-Audio. I'm sure everyone knows about: Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz and many others I'm forgetting that have players supporting both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks