What's new

Sony 60XBR2 (1 Viewer)

Ron R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald Rodriguez
Saw this unit over at CC this weekend. The price was slightly over $4k. After haggling awhile the price went down to $3800......then I mentioned BB and the price was down to $3,699. for the set, and 10% of the stand of $389

Circuit City's warranty for 4 or 5 yrs was around $600. What is usually included in the warranty and is it worth it? Has anyone had a bad warranty experience with the 60XBR2?

What's the best price that can found for this unit? Does anyone recommend purchasing this unit from Amazon or any other on-line provider?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Just my 2 cents, but from what ive seen the XBR2 dosent really seem to offer much over the SXRD except a higher price.

Um...SXRD is the technology used in the XBR2.
SXRD=Technology (LCoS)
XBR2=Model

I purchased the 60" from Ultimate Electronics and have been very pleased with it. Does CC's warranty cover bulb replacement? Keep in mind that the XBR2's come with an extra bulb. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this type of product via online retailer. If you have problems it's much easier to work with someone locally than someone in cyberspace. Yes, you may be able to save a few hundred dollars, but to me it's not worth it.

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Sorry, but the SXRD-XBR2 uses the WEGA-HD engine rather than the ordinary WEGA engine as found in their new KA2000 1080p line. I had a chance to view both 60" units side by side at a Sony trade show last month. The picture quality of the XBR2 was DEFINITELY more outstanding ( contrast, sharpness, black level...etc). Guess thats why they are more expensive.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

I gave the XBR1 an exhaustive amount of tweaking and viewing at my local retailers over the last year. So much so that I got the SXRB2 when it came out and only paid a little more than the closeout price of last year's model.
I wanted the newest upscaling software that comes with the new series sets. It does not disappoint. SD cable shows that were marginal at best with the older set now look a few shades better, but of course nowhere near HD. Still, it is better to have the newer software from my experience than not to.

The newer set also has 3 HDMI inputs and of course straight through 1080p if you need it. The bulb is sixty watts brighter than last years as well. This can be useful in daylight bathed rooms. I also like the matt screens on the Sony's over the uber shiny plasma we had.

The set comes in at a much lower list price than last year's set and comes with the extra bulb.

So I went for the newer set as the few upgrades it had over the previous model worked for me, and I got it at a reasonable price which never hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks