What's new

Sony 600-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS DVD Dream System Home Theater good or junk? (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to upgrade my HT and the Sony 600-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS DVD Dream System Home Theater looks attractive. But I was wondering if it is a waste of money. Does anybody have an opinion on this product?

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I demo a few sony system along with many other brands like it. I found most of them sounded bad with some being just ok. Your're paying more for the convience, size and style of the machine then anything else. Too put it into perspective, I found one of the bose mini dvd systems that retailed for $1450 to sound better then any of the sony's I demo. That says a lot considering how bad people think the bose system is. BTW, which model were you looking at?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I just looked up the Sony system. Forget about it. For the 999.00 price tag(or even 799.00 w/rebate) you can do SO MUCH BETTER. Here is one spec I pulled off for the speakers:
Satellite Speakers: 1/2" tweeter, 2" woofer

To paraphrase Ralph Kramden- I've seen tweeters bigger than 2 inches.

One alternative: 2 pair of Paradigm Atoms ~400.00 for all
Another: 2 pair PSB Alpha B- ~400.00 for all
Energy makes some, AR makes some. Any would be better.

Anyone else here could chime in on any number of speakers for under 500.00 dollars that would BLOW away the Sonys.

Add a DVD player for 125.00
Add a receiver for 200.00
Add a sub for 150-200.00

And you have a system for under 1000 dollars that would walk all over, blow away, destroy- you choose the next 'action word', the Sony system.

My neighbor bought an HTiB from Kenwood for 450.00. For the money it sounds fine, and I'd be hard-pressed to figure out how to get that sound for 450.00 worth of separate equipment. But 800-1000 dollars for the Sony just seems excessive, considering what you could do if you bought the equipment separately.

And don't get sucked in by the '600 watts' claim, either. You're better off with a conservatively rated 30wpc receiver than one that can power a 100 watt light bulb for a nanosecond.

If you have enough initiative to sign up here and ask the question, you have enough to look elsewhere. In my opinion, you can do MUCH better. Unless you are upgrading from a clock radio. The Sony would probably blow away the clock radio. Provided it's not one of those really good ones from Cambridge Sound Works...

Vin

Supporting Actor
My neighbor bought an HTiB from Kenwood for 450.00. For the money it sounds fine, and I'd be hard-pressed to figure out how to get that sound for 450.00 worth of separate equipment.
I agree. The HTB-505 offers an incredible bang for your buck and can be had for $295 (+ shipping)!

Vin

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The Sony HTIBs seem a little to much style and no substance to me. I saw Onkyo now has a solid looking EX/ES 6.1 HTIB out...you may wanna look into it.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Omard

Don't feel bad about your Sont HT in a box thread question!

Everyone is definitly trying to help by explaining, & certainly most of all showing alternatives that would far out perform what you asked about, if looking to spend that amount or less.
1000.00 can put together a very nice sounding system, far exceeding the Sony box set up.
And, well as James put it, flat out crushing it to nothing. Not even in the game you might say!

I have to agree 100% with what has been said and offered up as something eles you might want to look into.

If your looking for speakers that are very small due to space costraints, the forum can help stear you in some directions their also.

Ask away, as this is exactly what HTF is all about. Information, education, and fun....

Regards
Geoff

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
I have nothing more to add, so I'll just chime in and say that what James E. said is absolutely spot-on.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a Sony str se391 receiver a Sony 5 disk dvd player Sony 46" wide screen hdtv ready tv.and as far as speakers I have Bose 301 old model and Sony rear and center. The receiver sucks. From what I have what do you guys think I need to replace first or do I need to replace it all? I just thought the sony dream system would be the cure all since I don't know much about HT.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Well, IMO, moving from that to a HTIB in a box is a near-lateral move.

What is your budget, and is this a one-off deal or are you looking at maybe upgrading some more long-term?

If you really can't stand your current receiver, then replace it. However you'll probably find the biggest difference comes from speakers. Ditch the Sonys (Sonies?), move the Bose to surround duty and have a listen to some of the stuff that James Edward has mentioned.

Being in Canada I don't have a good feel for US prices, but from what I read here, $800 USD should be good for a solid set of new fronts and matched center and a decent receiver.

Edit: just noticed that you haven't mentioned a subwoofer. Is this something that you could live without for a while?

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony sub. I bought it as a HTIB and I bought the Bose a little while later. my budget is about 1000.00. No I want to keep upgrading as time goes on. what receivers do you recommend? the receiver does not have any new features like digital output, s video, nothing like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks