Sony 57HW40 or Toshiba 65HX81?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarcusCrown, Feb 13, 2002.

1. MarcusCrown

MarcusCrown Auditioning

I need some advice on the following:

(1) can anyone comment your opinion on this?

(2) when you were shopping for RPTV down to two choices, what were your RPTV brand name and model number?

(3) why you choose the final one?

I notice the Pioneer has better quality and just like you all said, they are almost double the price.

Does the country of where the RPTV made from bothers you? I had negative experience myself and I am very cautious about that. I notice Sony and Toshiba RPTV do not make in Japan anymore and so does other brand, I found out the following:

Sony - made in US

Panasonic - made in China

Mitsubishi - made in Mexico

Sharp - made in ?

Pioneer - made in ?

Toshiba - made in US

Your comments is most welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance! This forum is great and team work is what I learned as the key to get the best deal.

2. Joey Jenkins

Joey Jenkins Auditioning

I just got my 57hw40, and Im in LOVE!

Great set..

3. MarcusCrown

MarcusCrown Auditioning

Thanks Joey!

My brother in law has the 57HW40 and he just loves it like you. My sister who is not into RPTV told me she noticed the picture is very clear and sharp. You just can not go wrong on this.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My final 2 choices came down to the Toshiba HX series or the Hitachi UWX series. Hadn't even considered Sony. I bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B based on my good experience with an analog 4/3 Hitachi rptv. It was great for dvd and HD, other than a greenish tinge to dark parts of the picture. Regular ntsc satellite and cable pictures were not as good--sorta shimmery effect on bright solid colors and lots of funhouse mirror effect on the variable stretch mode.
    After 2 weeks with the Hitachi I decided to return it and get the Tosh from another store as CC doesn't carry Toshiba. I saw the HW-40 at CC when I went in to arrange the return and thought it looked great.
    Decided to get the Sony, a KP57HW40, and 20 minutes after it was delivered knew it was a keeper!!
    This set looks good out of the box, and very good with just an AVIA calibration.
    I've had it 4 months now and am still very very happy with it. I've done a couple of simple tweaks in the service menu, but have never felt the need to do a manual convergence. There's some good tweaking information available for this set over at Home Theater Spot.

5. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

Have any of you experienced any problems with ghost images on the Sony? I'm researching HDTVs right now, and on Audio Review there were several complaints about ghosting. In fact, every TV I've looked up so far in that price range has the same problem. Does anyone know of a set without this problem?

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My HW40 does show the ghosting, as does every other set I've looked at in the price range, including the non-elite Pioneers.
    It's worse on some sources than others--particularly overcompressed satellite channels. I really don't notice it most of the time.

7. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

Does the ringing/ghosting not show up on more expensive TVs, or is this an inherent problem of RP HDTVs in general?