Sony 57" WS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Brown, Oct 2, 2002.

1. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Looking into this TV (KP-57WS500) and after taking a poll in the polls section here, an admin told me that a 9" crt would be recommended. Ive checked high and low for this info and thought that maybe someone here might be able to help me. My original debate was RPT vs Tube (KP-57WS500 vs 40"XBR)

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

There aren't many RPTVs with 9" guns because most TVs aren't big enough to really need them. The 57" Sony, and pretty much every TV under 65", uses 7" guns. The only one I know off the top of my head that uses 9" guns is the Mitsubishi 73" set.

I'd got for the 57" anyway over 40 inch direct view Sonys, unless you're sitting closer than about 8 feet to the screen. Bigger isn't always better, but it's almost always better.

3. James Brown

Thanks for the info Jim.

The TV will be used mostly for DVDs and DTV. Im a little concerned about the zooming/stretching of the cable/DTV picture to fill the entire screen. The salesguy showed me an exapmle of this and luckily there was text on the screen where I could see how much of the vertical was lost.

What are your takes on this?

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

James,
    If you're concerned about losing text at the top or bottom edge of the screen, there is a scroll feature that let's you move the picture up or down to reveal it. I have last year's Sony 57" widescreen and use Wide Zoom to watch CNN and such and have the picture moved up with the scroll to show the crawl at the bottom.

If you want to try this out in the store, press menu on the remote and click on the "wide" menu, then go down to "Vertical Center"-- that lets you move the picture up and down.

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Thx steve

6. James Brown

First of all thanks everyone for all the input.
    Ill be going to a few stores again tonight to check these out again. This is going to be a really big purchase for me so excuse me if i sound a little anal about it all.
    Im really excited in finding a RPTV that will not only provide me the best picture for my budget but will also last me a long time.
    Being that these TVs in the showroom look like crap most of the time, what are some of the things I can do/look for when checking them out? [​IMG]