Sony 560 power supply problem -- help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToryT, Aug 10, 2002.

1. ToryT

ToryT Auditioning

I have a Sony DVP-S560D purchased in December 2000. It worked like a charm until a few weeks ago, when something went wrong with the power supply. When I turn the player on, the standby light goes from red to green, but only for a few seconds; then it goes back to red. It won't stay on long enough to open, much less play a DVD. I tried the fixes suggested on Sony's website (unplugging the player, then plugging it directly into an outlet rather than a surge protector; replacing the batteries in the remote), but surprise, surprise, they didn't work.
    Does anyone have experience with a similar problem? I'm trying to figure out whether the repair cost ($37.50 just to get it looked at, then who knows how much more) will be high enough to make replacement (and maybe an upgrade [​IMG] ) a better idea. I'm more than willing to replace if I can get something good (not necessarily all the bells and whistles) for not too much more than the repair cost.
    Thanks,
    ToryT

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

I'd replace it. It's only about a $100 player, probably not worth repairing.

3. ToryT

ToryT Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a Panasonic RP82 from Crutchfield; I'll use the Sony as a coaster.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When new, the Sony 560 had an MSRP of $600 I believe.

5. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

Nah, I think I paid around $250 for my S560-D at Circuit City a few years ago.