What's new

Sony 555ES SACD player- grinding sound (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When I try to play an SACD, the player makes this grinding, rattling sound as it's playing. This only happens on SACD layers, not regular CD layers, and it seems to grow a bit louder the longer it plays. But the music itself sounds fine.

Has anyone had this? Is the solution something simple or do I now have to find a repair man? Do people even repair these players?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Mike,
I have the same problem with my 555ES sometimes. I have heard that this only affects a few players, and that it does not effect the sound quality in any way. On my player, the sound is loudest when the first part of the disc is playing, as the disc is spinning faster when the early (inside tracks) are playing. As the disc gets past about the halfway mark, the sound goes away. This only happens on a few of the older, single layer discs I own, and does not happen on the newer hybrids that I own (Such as DSOTM, the Who, Alison Krauss live). Also, what sometimes helps is reloading the disc a few times, as I guess the spindle re-centers itself and the disc becomes balanced and no longer has the "spin-cycle" effect, like in washers and dryers. Hope this helped

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I honestly don't remember what kind of warranty this thing has and I have no idea where the paperwork is after having moved twice since I bought it. I'll have to figure that out somehow.

Chung, it indeed seems to not effect the sound quality, unless you cound occassionally hearing that noise in between tracks. Sometimes reloading the disc helped but that doesn't seem to do it anymore. I'm afraid it's getting worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks