What's new

Sony 555ES SACD Discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
I totally agree with Keith. If you really want it from Onecall, simply tell them J&R has it a hundred bucks cheaper and they'll capitulate. (my 80 cent word of the day :D )

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Daryl,
Enjoy your new piece of audio equipment and don't forget to post your review of it either here or at audioreview.com.
I can just see the beginning of your next thread, though..."I gotta pay what for a SACD!?" Or maybe I'll start that one myself.
Have a good anticipatory weekend.:)
David

JaleelK

Second Unit
I was just at another forum where a member posted that Oade has been informed from Sony that the 555es SACD player is being discontinued, and they currently have no stock!
Good, hopefully Sony will come out with a better player(s).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Daryl,
Congratulations on your purchase! Let us know how you like the 'C555ES. Well done. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
David,
Prices of SACDs from many labels have dropped in recent months. Perhaps they are more expensive through many Canadian retailers than in the US, though I know that hmv.com has SACDs priced reasonably. If you haven't done so already, check SACD prices at the following US retailers:
www.circuitcity.com
www.amazon.com
www.amusicdirect.com
www.acousticsounds.com
www.elusivedisc.com
Chip,
Are you hooked on phonics? ;)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
How about a convenience feature question - I can't find this information anywhere online:

Can the SCDC555ES be programmed to remember preferred track order on the same disk, so it will recognize it and play as programmed each time you play the disk? I think Sony calls that "Custom File?"

It's a lower-order consideration, admittedly ... but it will help if a SCDC555ES user can reply about this.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, the 'C555ES does not have the "Custom File" feature. The last Sony player that I remember seeing that feature on was the CDP-CA9ES carousel CD changer.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I just talked to Oade; they received a shipment of 10 555ES yesterday, 5 are left @ $620 delivered (after I took one :) ) (they also said they would modify it for, I beleive, an additional $180).
I asked about the replacement, and all they could guess was Sony was combining the SACD with an integrated amp.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I have had the SCD-C555ES player for about 2 months now. You will thoroughly enjoy this player.
I received yesterday 5 SACDs in the mail and my wife got to the shipment first. And the sales receipt. Before she could really work up a look, I put on James Taylor Hourglass in SACD multichannel, and I got to live another day.

David

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered mine through Oade at $620 shipped;)
Now they have one less in stock for those considering one.
This is an outstanding player and although I currently only have the 2 SACDs that came with the player
David, what were the 2 SACD's that came with the 555ES? Does anyone know if these 2 SACD's are still shipping in the box? Thanks.
Jerry

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
David, I order DVDs and have them delivered to the office; it looks like I might have to do that when I start ordering SACDs! (Wife: "How long have we had that?" Me: "Oh, we've had that one a looooong time!") :)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine from Oade Brothers Friday. Even with the standard, el cheapo interconnects they provide with the unit the sound was sweeeeet!!! I can't wait until I can get some decent interconnects.
Thanks to KeithH and everybody else in helping me decide on this unit.
BTW, they just receieved another 15, and Oade was super (they actually shipped the 300 disc CD player by mistake, but since they are 45 minutes away they drove down with the correct player and swapped it out for me).
A happy customer :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, glad to hear you happy with the 'C555ES. Have you bought any SACDs yet? I hope it continues to serve you well.
Your experience with Oade Bros. is incredible. They drove down to do the exchange? Wow! Of course, this is one of those situations where Sony confused someone by using '555' over and over again. 'M555ES, 'C555ES, what's the difference? ;) Let's see, here are all the '555' Sony components I can think of off the top of my head:
STR-DA555ES (older receiver)
MDS-JA555ES (older minidisc deck)
STR-V555ES (older receiver)
STR-VA555ES (overseas version of the 'DA5ES)
CDP-CX555ES (older megachanger)
CDP-M555ES (current megachanger)
SCD-C555ES (obviously)
SCD-555ES (stereo SACD player released overseas)
Did Sony make a '555' laserdisc player? I know there was an MDP-333. I also don't recall if Sony ever had a '555' CD player way back when. Not that I know of.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I only have the 2 demo discs that came with the player (Sacred Feast and Mozart Sinfonia in E-Flat and Concerto in D Major for Violin and Piano) and today I picked up Celine Dion for the wife. I need to start researching the SACD music threads! Suggestions for classical, jazz (including Big Band) and Classic Rock (actually all formats except disco and rap) much appreciated :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I have some suggestions for you, but you might want to ask the question in the Music Area. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions there. Also, the question has been asked by others, so a search over there should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks