What's new

Sony 555ES SACD Discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I was just at another forum where a member posted that Oade has been informed from Sony that the 555es SACD player is being discontinued, and they currently have no stock! I hope this isn't true. I am waiting for the Canadian price drop for this unit, for warranty reasons, but I may have to act sooner for a US version.

I really hope someone has different information than this.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
This would be a shock since I also just heard on that Oade Bros. said the Sony STR-DA5ES is also being discontinued and their out of stock.

The funny thing is I haven't heard nothing from Sony.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Daryl,

Sony has dropped the retail price on the 'C555ES twice since last October. Last October, Sony dropped the price from $1700 USD to $1200 USD, and in April, Sony dropped the price from $1200 USD to $800 USD. In the past, such price drops on Sony SACD players have been a prelude to their short-term fall off the product range. So, it would not surprise me if Sony were to drop the 'C555ES. It was Sony's first multi-channel SACD player, having been released in April 2001. So, we are looking at a 15-month-old product, which is old in the consumer electronics sector these days.

While I would not be surprised if the 'C555ES were dropped this year, I have not heard a peep about a potential replacement.

Greg,

I appreciate the update regarding the 'DA5ES. The electronics shop in Wilmington that has been looking at my 'V444ES is unable to fix it. They will be taking it to Sony's repair facility in Bristol, PA this week or next. I still might be in the market for a new receiver. July is an odd time to be shopping for electronics since many items are on the way out, but replacements are not yet available. As a result, I am not too concerned if this thing with my receiver drags out a little longer. For now, I can watch DVDs in stereo. At least I can still listen to music! Anyway, maybe new receivers will be out by the time Sony comes back with a verdict on the 'V444ES.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
When I called Oade the other day, they had one 555ES left. However, the rep told me they were waiting on a new shipment from Sony. Perhaps as you write, they have been discontinued.

I'll pop a mail off to their tech support line and see if that is a factual rumor.

Charles

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Daryl,
Just to place a bug in your ear. I bought mine from Oade Bros. about 2 months ago for under $1100 Cdn. total. If there is in the future a warranty claim, I just have to pay for shipping one way to the US. It is a 5 year warranty in the US vs. a 3 year warranty here in Canada. :confused:
David

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
David,

That bug has been crawling around in my ear for a while now! The only good thing is our CDN loonie is climbing a bit, and I live right beside the US border. How do you like yours? I don't understand the warranty difference though, that make little sense.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
The most complete answer that I can give is to do a search on this forum for this particular model. I agree with all. (I have printed out and read the threads that talk about the SCD-C555ES here at HTF. It amount to ~250 pages.) This is an outstanding player and although I currently only have the 2 SACDs that came with the player, the sound (in either stereo or multi-channel) is much more "real" than normal redbook CD. It gives me goose-bumps when I compare the regular CD layer vs. the SACD stereo layer.
I have just recently purchased 6 SACDs from HMV.ca. They seem to have the best prices and as a bonus, have 270 discs. Their shipping charge is also not expensive for Canadians.
As for the warranty difference, I did not received an adequate response from Sony Canada, just the statement that they were two different entities (Sony Canada - Sony US).

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
This is the question I posed to one of the Oade Bros. via e-mail on the rumour that the END of the 555ES product cycle is upon us.

"I have a question. There is a rumor that the 555ES has been discontinued. Do you know if this is true?

If so, do you have any idea what the replacement might be??"

Mr. Oade's response:

So far, we have not heard anything about that. I doubt it, but I have learned to never second guess Sony. They have dropped great products from their line card before, without a decent replacement, so it could happen again !

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
David,

I have read quite a few of the reviews of the 555ES here already and there are not many bad reviews. I have a DVD-A player already and I really like what high resolution formats offer. With the 555 I am looking for a very good redbook player as well as SACD. So I think I will be making a call soon. Which SACD's came with your player?

Chas,

Thanks for the info from Oade.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Daryl,

The SACDs that came with the player were a fully loaded (cd/stereo SACD/multi-channel SACD) choir-type music (The Tabernacle Choir?) and a Sony SACD stereo-only sampler which has various artists on it. Sorry, I am going just off memory here with respect to the names of the SACDs.
As an aside, what was the best price that you could get in Canada? Mine was $1650 plus taxes for a demo.

David

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
David,

Sony Store is the only place in MB that you can buy it from I believe, so not very cheap. Importing seems like the way to go so far. Thanks for the info.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Well, I called the Sony Store in Winnipeg, and the store manager I talked told me the current Canadian price for th 555ES is $1599CDN! BUT, the model is not in stock in her shop, not available in the warehouse, and has been discontinued ... :frowning: I asked her if there was a new model to replace it, and she said there was not anything yet in her computer system!
The 222ES is still available, and is at $1199CDN and hasn't been discontinued yet, but is in stock at the warehouse atleast (probably in Toronto I guess).
Sony Canada may have lowered the prices, but never told anyone!

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
$1199 Cdn? Not bad.
$325 US shipped to Canada from Oade - even better.
There is no duty on CD players.
I know that I have again brought up importing, but the price difference is shameful.:b

David

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems that most or all of Sony's current gen SACD/non DVD players have been discontinued right now. Not sure about the XA777ES, but the SCD-CE775 non-ES was also price slashed, then discontinued. My 6 month old Marantz died on me suddenly, and I was considering the 222 or 555, but could not find either, so I ended up with a CA70ES at a very good price instead. Now I am just waiting to see what is in the pipeline from Sony, since I was looking to move to SA.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, you are talking about the Gaudeamus Sacred Feast SACD featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which is on the Telarc label. I received this disc with one my 'C555ES changers. It is not my type of music, but the sound quality is outstanding.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I called the following places last Sat. (7/6) and these were the prices that I was quoted for the 555ES.

J and R - $627 U.S. delivered
One Call - $720 U.S.delivered

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles, it is not unusual for OneCall to quote a high price initially. However, they will more than likely match J&R Music World's price if asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks