What's new

Sony 51" 16:9 cable reception & view mode (1 Viewer)

I just hooked up the 51", and the cable reception is lousy!

Not that it was great before, but I mean it is very grainy.

How to correct? Also, what mode do most people use:

FULL, WIDE, ZOOM, WIDE-ZOOM ??

Thanks,

Tony

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tony,
If your cable was mediocre before, it's gonna look a lot worse on a big-screen line doubled set like your Sony. The screen size amplifies any imperfections, and the line doubler (DRC in Sony speak) will artifact badly on a mediocre signal. Call your cable company and see if they can get you a better signal.
If they can't get you a better signal, switch to DirecTV for cable channels like A&E or such. If you are within 50 miles or so of your local station's transmitters, you can get a great over-the-air picture from a good roof antenna.
In the meantime, use Movie or Pro mode rather than vivid or standard, turning sharpness down to about 10% or so will help with the graininess.
I use Widezoom on my HW40 for most casual regular tv--better resolution than zoom and less distracting than full, no chance of burn in as with the gray bar mode.
If you have a dvd player, get a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials and calibrate the tv, it will help smooth out the picture.
The new Sonys do as well as anything short of a Pioneer Elite as far as handling ntsc sources, but ya gotta get a decent signal into it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
How is the streching of 4:3 images, compared to a Toshiba set? I really like the TW1 setting on the Toshibas, but for various reasons I am looking at exchanging for a Sony, and the display of 4:3 images is an important factor for me.

Thanks,

Dave

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dave,
Sony has 4 modes for 4/3-Normal=gray bars, Full=uniform horizontal stretch=fat faces, Zoom=no fat faces, but chops off the top and bottom, and you lose a little resolution. Zoom mode is scrollable, just like on a Tosh. WideZoom is the variable stretch mode.
Widezoom does do a little horizontal stretch in the middle, but not nearly as much as Full. The upside is that the sides have minimal funhouse mirror effect. There's also a bit of vertical zoom going on, which is probably how they minimize the horizontal stretch in the center. They do compress the top and bottom a bit so not as much is cropped off due to the zoom. This mode is also scrollable. I know my description of widezoom makes it sound pretty horrible, but in practice it is about the best method of filling a 16/9 screen with a 4/3 picture that I've ever seen--I got used to it very quickly and find it minimally distracting, especially compared to the Hitachi or Mits variable stretch modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks