What's new

Sony 4es, Denon 2802, HK 525, Marantz 5300? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_M

Agent
Well now that the costco deal is gone on the HK325 and I didn't snag one, I am thinking about speding a little more and am considering the above.

I hate to say it but out of all I like the Sony 4es, looks like a very solid unit. Anyone have any comments on these to narrow down my choices.

Should I also consider the Outlaw even though it has less features?

Does the Sony really put out 110x7, or do they inflate there ES line too.

I know the HK is considered a High Current amp, are any of the others? Which in the real world is more powerful?

Thanks,
Josh

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea about which of these receivers is most powerful in the "real world." I'd be more concerned about how each sounds, and the 4ES sounds great and is a "very solid unit." You won't be disappointed. Why not audition one at home?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi!

The 4es is a real SOLID performer, had one for 6 months and its really sweet for the bucks. $640 at www.elegantaudiovideo.com

Running 6.1 now with a set of matched Dahlquists...2ch its great, HT, 6.1/7.1, 96/24 Bits,DTS-ES and DD-EX rear decoding etc...

Hard to beat, look great etc..

Best of Luck!
Alex

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Joshua, if you are considering Marantz in your choices listed, wouldn't you maybe looking at the 6300 or even the 7300? Just curious as they seem more in line with your other receiver picks. I'm currently looking to upgrade as well and the Sony 4ES, Marantz sr7300, Denon's upcoming 2803 are on the short list. Helped my buddy choose his first HT receiver last night, a Marantz sr4300. What a feature packed receiver for the price. Haven't got it hooked up yet but it sure looks/feels nice, heavy too at 31 lbs. Price may be a deciding factor for me as I can get a discount on the Marantz, but I've heard many rave reviews about the Sony 4ES too. It's got 7.1 vs 6.1 over the Marantz and those super flexible crossovers, not to mention the two sets of multi-channel inputs for SACD or DVD Audio. I wish I knew what the the Denon 2803 will be selling for and it's availability for sure, March was the last I heard. Anyhow, listen to them all if you can and let us know what you decide.

Happy Hunting.

Steve

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Of all the receivers you guys have talked about, only the 4ES is software upgradable via the RS232 port. I am using the 4ES as a prepro and couldn't be happier. :emoji_thumbsup:

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
The Marantz 7300 is also software upgradeable via the RS232 port. Just walked a friend through buying one....

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
The SR8200 is software upgradable too (and has been out for some time), but I've yet to hear a peep about what they might use it for. I'm not holding my breath because I wouldn't be surprised if it is more of a marketing thing. A perfect opportunity to use it would be HDCD decoding, which is apparently going into the 8300. We'll see whether it means anything or is just window dressing.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks