What's new

Sony 444ES question (1 Viewer)

When watching the DSS (RCA 5451)through the receiver using the optical input, there is an audible click through my speakers (all KEF Reference). When changing the channel it makes the click but if I do not let the receiver capture the optical input signal it doesnt pop. What would cause it to pop? I haven't tried the analog but I get the feeling it will work fine there. It has to do with the optical digital feed, I'm sure. I just bought the unit on close out because Sony is coming out with a new line and it was too good of a deal to pass up ($428). Is this a minor annoyance, can it be fixed or should I return it and buy something else?.
Thanks for nay help.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Darren, the clicking sound you are hearing most likely is the 'V444ES locking onto the digital bitstream being fed by the DSS. This is common when using a digital connection. I don't see any way around it as long as you are using the optical digital connection. The 'V444ES is very good at locking onto digital signals, as are most receivers nowadays. Some older receivers are slow to lock onto the bitstream. The result is that you experience a dropout of the first few seconds of material, be it a DSS feed, DVD, CD, etc. I've had no problems with the 'V444ES locking onto digital signals. Overall, I've been very pleased with the 'V444ES.
$428 is an outstanding price for for a receiver that originally retailed for $1000. Look at it this way. You got Sony ES quality with the five-year warranty for the price that many pay for Sony's DE receivers at Best Buy and Circuit City. You did very, very well. Kick back and enjoy it.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Thanks for the info Keith. That is exactly what it sounds like. When it locks on, it makes an audible "click". Can that damage my system?
Yes I do feel as if I did quite well on the price. I actually went to get a Denon 2802 but was able to talk them down on this unit. I do feel good about the purchase although it doesn't have DPL II and legit 6.1/7.1 capability and the remote is below average. I'm happy I have a Pronto.
There is so much flexibility with this unit. It will take a while to learn it all.
Darren

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Darren,
I think I know how to fix your clicking sound. I currently own the Sony DB-930 and have noticed that if you have the DSS input set to Auto then the receiver takes a second to figure if the source is digital or analog and that might be causing the problem. When I switched the source to read only Optical the problem went away. When in this mode the receiver doesn't bother figuring out if its a optical or analog source it automatically goes to optical. If your always going to listen to your dish using the optical then go ahead and switch it optical only instead of auto.
I know it worked for mine so I hope you it works for you. Because I too was getting sick of that noise and I was scared it was going to damage my new Paradigm Studio 60's and CC.
Let me know what happens :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks