What's new

Sony 444ES Hiss (1 Viewer)

Andrew_A_A

Auditioning
I have upgraded my system to the 4ES model and I am using my older 444ES to power an additional set of L/R surround speakers. The 4ES whisper quiet but the 444ES has a hiss at -15 decibels in analog direct mode. Are there any 444ES owners that have had it serviced for this hiss problem? Does Sony recognize this as a valid reason for warranty work? Thanks!

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
-15 is starting to get up there a little bit in volume. A lot of receivers get a hiss in them at higher volumes. My Sony DB930 had an audible hiss starting around 50% volume (it didn't have a decibel readout for volume, just numbers 0-10). All amps do this inherantly to some degree. The sheilding around the amps, the design of the amps, the way they're electricaly isolated from their own power supply, etc can effect this to a great degree from amps that pick up background rf (and sometimes actual stations!) like crazy to where there is relatively no hiss at all in the super high end amps even at full volume.

Other things that can cause this kind of behavior include not using good quality interconnects, proximity to other equipment (simply having my DVD player near the DB930 would make the hiss worse) and how clean the power is for the amp. A line conditioner may help the problem some too.

I bought a little Monster Home Theater Power Bar (a glorified power strip/surge supressor) and that also cleared up some of my hiss. Between this and the DVD player, it eliminated about 80% of the problem.

I can't speak for other 444ES owners as I am not one, but I doubt Sony will address the problem unless you can convince them that it is unbearably loud or noticeable since some hiss is more or less inherant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks