Sony 43HT20 and Toshiba 43H71

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marvin, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I know these models have been discussed before but all of the threads were at least a month old so I was wondering if anyone else has had any more recent experiences with one or both of these sets? Any words of caution or encouragement? Is one any better than the other?

Also, what do owners use for a stand for these sets? The Sony has a custom made stand from Sony but I don't like it (I want a glass door). I don't know if the Toshiba has a dedicated stand. Is anyone using some other brand name stand, e.g. Bush?

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Testing...testing...

3. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

1) I have the Sony 43HT20, and am pretty happy with it (although I wish I would have bought a 16:9). My complaints: the "automatic" 16:9 enhanced mode never works automatically when playing back an anamorphic dvd- I have to go into the menu and select "on". Otherwise, beautiful picture, geat controls/imputs. I think the purchase was worth the $. I paired it up with one of JVC's progressive scan players, and have one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

2) I bought a six-legged coffee table from a used clothing store for $5. It can hold 2 people standing on it, so I figured it would be great for the tv. I plan on building a custom stand in the future. The Sony stand was an additional $300, and I wanted a black stand- not silver.

4. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Hi Marvin

I have a Toshiba 43HX71 in my sunroom and I am vary happy with it. Toshiba makes a dedicated stand for the 43HX71 and I recommend getting it. The stand has glass doors and one shelf. The stand really works well as it is formed to the TV; it even swivels and matches the color exactly.

Earl

5. Carl Normand

Carl Normand Auditioning

EarlR,

What is the model number of your stand. I bought the same TV and the stand that normally comes with it here in Canada doesn't have glass doors. Any info would be great.

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Carl,
    The stand for the HX71 is ST4361:
    http://www.onecall.com/PID_13084.htm for example. I see the H71's stand is ST4351. They don't have it at Best Buy but I found it after I started this thread at Onecall and several other web sites.
    Thanks for the responses so far (keep 'em coming). It sounds like either TV would be fine. How does regular cable TV look on these projectors?
    One thing I noticed about the Toshiba H71 (not sure if the HX71 is the same) is that it has a very narrow top - too narrow to put a cable box on it. I wonder if there's some sort of adapter piece for this or if you'd have to put the cable box below (in the TV stand) or on a separate stand off to the side.

7. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Carl

That is the correct part number in fact I got my stand from Onecall as the local representative was out of stock.

Marvin

The top is too narrow for a cable box on the HX and I believe there isn’t any difference externally between the H and the HX

Earl

8. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

How much did the snake pit cosT?

(Including all equipment and furnishing?)

Want to see if I can ever consider doing this in life.

-ELmO

9. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

ELmO

I don't know the total cost I am afraid to add it all up.

Earl

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Well, I'm almost ready to start looking seriously. Perhaps someone will have a good Memorial Day sale. Does anyone else want to add comments about either of these models (or something comparable)? Does the Toshiba have the "ghosting" problem that I keep reading about with other Toshibas? Any reason to avoid either of these 2 models? Thanks!

11. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Marvin

I haven’t noticed any of the ghosting problems on my set that have been reported about with some other sets.

Earl