Sony 40XBR800 help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Burgio, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Chris Burgio

Chris Burgio Auditioning

Hi.. I recently purchased a Sony 40XBR and it seems as if my picture quality has slowly gotten worse. I can see vertical lines very clearly. So much that a diagnol line looks segmented. And the digital artifacts are very obvious.

I've followed what help i've found in this forum, but things don't seem to fix. I've set the satellite input (via s-video) to Movie, lowered the sharpness, and made the DRC interlaced. I even used the Avia CD (with limited knowledge) to calibrate.. but nothing seems to affect the visibility of those vertical lines.

btw, with my dvd player, things look amazing.. it's just for satellite tv..

Any suggestions?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Chris.

There could be several sources of this problem.

- Your coax from the dish to the receiver could be getting oxidized. Un-screw all the connectors and examine the copper wire center conductor. Trim and replace ends if the wire is dull brown or if the connectors are worn. Make sure to tighten all the connectors with a wrench at least 1/4 turn past hand tight. (This is the number one source of poor-quality CATV signals).

- Un-plug and re-connect all the wires in the signal path to your TV. Make sure the wires are not bundled/close to power wires or speaker wires. (Yes, speaker wires ARE power wires). Un-plug and re-plug all your power cords as well. (Make sure to turn off the equipment first).

- Disconnect your CATV feed if you have one. This often brings in a 60 hz noise that can cause a humm in speakers, and can affect the video.

- You could have poor power. You MIGHT be a canidate for a power conditioner. Your AC power service is a SHARED resource with everyone up/down stream from you. See if a local store will lend/sell you a power conditioner for an evening.

- Cable: The cable between the Sat receiver and your TV could be a problem. Can you use the SVideo cable from your DVD player as a replacement for a quick test?

3. Chris Burgio

Chris Burgio Auditioning

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions Bob. I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. I'll try everything you suggested and let you know.

Thanks again-
    chris

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    On a different note, does this Sony upconvert a 480p signal for display?