Sony 40XBR700 Sighting in NJ!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Sony 40" Flat Screen Tube TV.
    I don't know when this set is supposed to be released, but I just saw one today at lunch. The Wiz store located in the Garden State Plaza mall, Paramus, NJ. Side note: this is the mall you see in various Soprano's episodes.
    The saleperson I spoke with claims their rep got them this early demo model to gauge customer response - none were in inventory for sale. Price of $3499 + $399 for stand. You have to buy stand as TV is shaped funny, and I remember reading it's supposed to weigh 350lbs. So total list price here is really $3900.
    Picture. Typical of larger tube sets, so-so gemoetry and bad convergence. Brightness, colors and blacks were great. Not to mention the nice size.
    Demo. I was able to check out the set performing 3 ways. (1) HD. The set was flanked by HD RPTV's playing the now famous college football (sencore drive) demo loop. The Sony looked really nice, nicer than other tubes I've seen play this demo. (2) Cable. TERRIBLE. I really hope this was due to a bad signal feed. The Wiz stores usually have very nice cable feeds, as they are owned by Cablevision, but this looked like a snow storm - no exaggeration. (3) DVD. Salesperson found a WB demo DVD. It may be due to a juiced bit rate used on this demo DVD, but HOLY COW it was nice. Lots of detail.
    Also, I think I remember reading from the press release that this set was supposed to have a firewire input jack (first one?). Unfortunately, the set's size & weight prohibited me from moving it around inorder to get a look at the back.
    That's all for now. Gotta love NJ.
    Rich B.

2. Greg Silberman

Greg Silberman Auditioning

J&R has been advertising that they will have the 40" along with a Sony rep from 11-3 on August 23.
    ------------------
    Gregory P. Silberman
    [email protected]

3. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Cool since I live 10 mins from GSP Ill check it out at the Wiz---and since I work 2 blocks from JR Ill be going there tomorrow to check it out.
    Today is a good day. [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I will have to stop by there after work today to check this monster out. This store usually displays the higher priced sets correctly while the others often have no signal running through them.

5. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Just came back from J&R to see the TV
    First they had some Sony rep woman (no offense to the ladies) who had no clue how to work the remote. DUh!!!!!!
    Then pic looked like crap-- they didnt have the picture set right. Im no professional---but just eyeballing the set u could adjust the color and all the stuff
    So a big disappointment--
    Oh well
    Mike
    ------------------