Sony 40XBR700. Made in Japan???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eugene-w, Mar 19, 2002.

1. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

Hello all.

I plan to upgrade my 36inch XBR400 to the new 40inch XBR700 series. Does anyone know if this model is made in Japan or not? Also, any review on this particular set? I'd appreciate any inputs. Thank you!

2. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

this model is made in michigan! They bought out an old VW plant and opened up shop there. It would not be wise for them to make a 250 pound tv in japan. Your lucky its made in the US, all their other tvs are made in mexico!

3. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

thanks for your input!

yeah, it is a good thing it is made here in the US, not in other countries. is this TV worth getting it??? any known problems??

thanks again.

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Actually, it's more like 304 pounds!

5. JohnDPug

JohnDPug Extra

There is a review in the November/December 2001 issue of The Perfect Vision which puts the weight at 304 lbs but Sony's spec sheet says 286 lbs. The reviewer was rather impressed with it. The review leads you to belive the unit is built in thier factory in Westmoreland County outside Pittsburgh, PA but it's unclear.
    I've had the KV-40 in my den for over a month now and all I can say is it's awesome. I strongly suggest getting the Sony stand. I'm glad I did. Also, buy it from a place which will set it up for you. It comes in a cardboard container which is more like a shipping crate than it is like a box. The guys who set mine up (from a specialty Sony dealer) had done a couple of setups so they knew how to get the thing up and out of the box. I'd have been jittery with the standard delivery guys from Sears or the like.
    It's not perfect (it should have TV Guide + and some way to turn the Extended Data Service display off without going to the Setup menu) but it's amazing. DVDs with my Sony progressive scan player are fantastic. Even the sound is terrific. As I've mentioned in other posts, my only disappointment is the set deserves a better input than what I'm giving it(cable analog signal). I can't wait to hook up a 1080i input to it.

6. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

thanks.

my biggest concern is that does this TV also suffer from the famous uneven brightness problem? my 36XBR400 does have this problem and cannot be fixed (the corners are darker than the center, especially when the background is blue or white).

7. JohnDPug

JohnDPug Extra

Eugene...I'm not familiar with that problem but it's either been fixed with the XBR700 or it's subtle enough that I don't notice it.

8. Carl Holomshek

Carl Holomshek Auditioning