Sony 400 disc changer, major problem, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimColeman, May 9, 2002.

1. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Well, after moving last week I have discovered that a few cd's have worked themselves free and are jamming up my cd changer. I can't even open the door. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever opened one of these changers to fix this problem?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I would carefully remove the case cover and see if you can reach the CDs. I have never opened a CD changer before, but I imagine it will be easy enough to do. I have opened DVD players and other electronics. There is no harm in opening it to see.

Let this be a warning to others: REMOVE ALL DISCS BEFORE MOVING! It is a pain in the @$$, but it will prevent this from happening. This is true for all CD and DVD players, single units, changers, and jukeboxes.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You should be able to pop the cover off and dislodge the loose discs

4. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

I have not opened my CDP-CX450, but, I did open my older CDP-CX250. There have screws on both sides and along the upper rear panel. Please do this with the unit un-plugged. Gently slide the cover off to check for mis-aligned and/od damaged discs. The unit will play without the cover on, but, be cautious of prolonged exposure, dust will find its way in there! Good luck! After 2 jamming incidents with my 250 unit, I upgraded to a CDP-CX300. Currently both my 300 & 400 are full and I have 2 stackes of cd's piling up (and both of my Case Logic file drawers are full of other cd's). Both are daisy-chained for nonstop play. After I figure out where I can find a new shelf, I guess I will look for another changer.

5. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Thanks for the tips Kenny.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The one pain in the arse with megachangers is having to unload all the discs when you have to move them and then go through the arduous process of loading them up again. I went through that when I moved last year.

Kenny,

I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy chained, and I love using them in shuffle mode with the "NO DELAY" feature engaged. Very cool. I am in the process of dubbing all the the CD-Rs with text, which will be really nice when the job is complete.

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

1) Make sure that they are on a level shelf. Use long level, and do it in two directions along the shelf and perpedicular to shelf.
    2) Repeat. Repeat. Watch the stand/rack/shelfs for sag.
    3) Enjoy the music.
    4) Visit www.nirvis.com, and get yourself a Slinke.
    5) Enjoy even more - different playlists, no more typing disc names, multiple playlists...
    6) use Slinke IR to control other audio devices.
    7) Enjoy the music more and more
    8) Use Slinke X-10 to control lights and do 1 button Home Theater
    9) Enjoy the music....
    10)Integrate Slinke, changers, audio equipment, X-10, HomeSeer into nice system, with audio distribution across house...
    11) enjoy the music.
    (OOps, I just described last 2 years of my life... 3 CDP-400, 1000+ CD, 19 Paradigm speakers, 3 Denons, reels of cable, etc, etc... )
    _zjt

8. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Well, problem solved. Opened her up a removed about 20 cd's last night. All is fine once again. Thanks for everyones help.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim, great news! When you say all is well, does that mean that none of the CDs were ruined? If so, that's really great news!