What's new

Sony 40 inch XBR advice (1 Viewer)

Peter_Strz

Auditioning
This is my first time posting, so please forgive me if I come across as a moron in the audio/video world. I am looking at upgrading my TV. Currently it's a 27 inch tube, so moving up to the 40 inch XBR would be a huge improvement in real estate for me.

Here is some of my setup and some of my concern. I currently have a Sony DA555ES receiver that pumps out amazing sound to my 5.1 setup. So I am not looking for the TV that I get to have amazing speakers since I probably will have the TV's sound output muted. JVC Progressive Scan DVD player. From my understanding, I would notice the biggest difference between my current TV and the XBR with the 1080i output of a progressive scan DVD.

Here is my main concern. I have an analog cable signal coming into my home. I currently do not watch enough television to upgrade to digital cable. I plan on keeping my analog signal. Will this television magnify the flaws of the analog signal on this screen? Will the new TV look worse for my TV viewing than the current set I have now?

I guess I'm just looking for general opinions. Thanks in advance for the advice. Oh and if anyone has the patience to tell me what I should be looking for in a high end tube television, and explain terms to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In a 40", I don't think you will have to much amplification of NTSC artifacts at all. You may want to try sending any Composite source as Svideo if it is an option.

Progressive scan DVD is 480p, not 1080i....

Your TV most likely offers this for DVD 480i sources anyways.

On the HDTV thing. I don't know what area your in, but I am getting 6 channels free off the air waves... Way way cool watching HDTV NFL yesterday, and for free! And digital audio too.. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
On what to look for...

High quality 3 line comb filters
Lots of inputs and outputs
To HDTV tuner or not. (your choice)
A generally great pic in HD and SD that you feel you can be happy with for a few years.

A TV that can do progressive scan for DVD sources, and even 3.2 pulldown for movies with be great as well.

Gilbert_P

Stunt Coordinator
i think that tv is amazing. it accepts 720p input and upconverts it. it has a 37 inch screen when watching WS movies. it was top rated last year. i wish i could have it:D

Peter_Strz

Auditioning
John,

Thanks for all your input so far.

Now, that being said, I have no idea what an NTSC Artifact is. Oh, and composite and svideo sounds pretty chinese to me as well :). It uses a Sony 3D Digital Comb Filter and uses CineMotion™ Reverse 3-2 Pulldown Technology.

As for the HDTV signals that you get, this is just from your basic digital cable service? This TV does not have an HDTV receiver built in, so I would have to upgrade to digital cable. If the picture is that much better, it might be a good thing for me to investigate.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Looks like John has saved his HDTV from the Snow Storm. :)

Peter, if you have Timewarner, they give you a free upgrade from Digital to HD Receiver package. If you are on their Standard package, I guess it is about 8USD extra a month.

Usually the local News channels and their primetimeshows like NBC, ABC, CBS telecasts in HD. Apart from that my local PBS, Discovery are HD 24*7. If you have subscription for HBO and Showtime, they have HD too. I am sure over the next few months, years there will be more and more HD telecasts.

Regarding Composite and SVideo these are two of the various ways to connect (input/output) A/V signals. For more.better information on this go over the HT PRIMER in the HT AREA.
To give you a quick summary on it Component is better than S-Video is better than Coaxial is better than Composite.
I dont know if it makes sense.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
An important item that you haven't mentioned is your viewing distance. If you sit too close to a 40" screen, all flaws of the material you are viewing will be magnified. In general, regular analog cable will only look as good as what is sent. And even with the TV upsampling the signal, garbage in = garbage out, IMO. The TV is a fantastic set for DVD and HDTV.

Given the cost of the TV, I'd go with a reputable dealer who has a 30 day return, no questions asked policy. It may cost you a bit more but the peace of mind of being able to try it without risk is important. In my opinion, this is a TV you'll want to have for many, many years. Make sure you ARE happy with it. And get whatever extended warranty you can too.

BrianCC

Grip
... and be sure you're happy with WHERE you put this TV. My 36 XBR weighs over 200 lbs, so it's still sitting right where the delivery guys set it up over three years ago.;)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I'm with Brian...at 304 pounds you'll either want to start regular trips to the gym or have it delivered and put on a SOLID stand of some sort :)

Mort

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 34XBR910 with TW digital cable and HDTV.
The XBR shows considerable picture quality improvement vs my year old 24" Wega on all stations, digital or analog.
TV is on a stand I got from Wood Technology on line...CM-V36...holds 4 or 6 components underneath the TV ( most likely 4 unless your components are of very low height ) and is on wheels... solid wood, fairly easy to assemble @ $369.95.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I have a 36" XBR250 on a Salamander SVDO stand with the Saturn casters. Before that it was on the Sony stand sold for it and was impossible to move.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Does this mean I have to buy a furniture/stand for my 57inch CRT RPTV? Cant it stand on its own like the ones on the floors of BB, CC etc..

John S

Senior HTF Member
Peter_Strz:
I get my HDTV free, off of the air waves.
I use a Zenith HDV420 OTA HDTV receiver, you even get digital audio, even DD EX sometimes. NTSC artifacts probably has a precise definition, but alas, I take it to mean and and all picture quality problems associated with and NTSC (non-HD) signal. They get amplified as you go above the 40" mark in particular.

Kumar:
That had to be the longest 3 weeks and 4 days of my life.
I called to place the order and they had just run out of stock, selling two in the few days since I first called them for information. So 4 days later they have stock, then they were scheduled for pickup thanksgiving day week with the trucking company and they never picked it up. Finaly picked up, then the truck gets stopped multiple times, for ice / snow storms in the midwest. The good news is, it arrived safe and sound, and I really love my new HDTV, and I saved about $500 ordering off the net, and putting up with that 3 week and 4 day wait.. :) That wait time did include 4 weekends, so maybe take 8 business days off of that total. So 17 business days, ain't so bad, I suppose, maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks