What's new

Sony 3ES Help Please (1 Viewer)

JimmyAGR

Auditioning
Hi All,
I finally bought a Radio Shack spl meter, and I was trying to set the speaker levels last night on my Sony 3ES. I went thru the manual and tried following the instructions. Not an easy task with this manual. When I was sending the signal to all the speakers one at a time and adjusting them it seemes like it adjusted each speaker. Then when I moved on to the opposing speaker and adjusted it seems to have changed the settings for the pair. If I adjusted the RR speaker then moved to the LR speaker it seemed to change the level or RR again. Is this the way it works? Do I then have to adjust the balance to make up the difference? Any info you can give on the procedure will be greatly appreciated. If it matters I was using the test tones from the receiver, as the Avia disk is in the mail.

Thanks All,
Jimmy

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The level control for the surround speakers adjusts both speakers simutaneously. There is a balance control for the surround speakers that can be used to make one speaker louder than the other to correct for discrepancies. If you are getting different levels from each of these two speakers, you should first try repositioning the speakers, since they are obviously not placed identically left and right. Failing that, try to make sure that they are the same distance from the sweet spot.

They changed this with the new 4ES and 7ES. Now each speaker has it's own level control (with the exception of the front L/R, which still have a balance control). I personally prefer the old way.

JimmyAGR

Auditioning
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your response. It's nice to know I wasn't as stupid as I thought. Do all receivers do this, or do others let you do adjust each speaker independently? As my listening area is not cetered it would be beneficial to be able to do that. Oh well something else to look for in a rfeceiver if I ever decide to upgrade. Again thanks for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks