What's new

Sony 370 - problem with SD DVDs? (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I recently made the jump to HD with a great deal on the Sony 370 Blu Ray player. I am stunned by the picture quality of Blu Ray discs on my 40" 120Hz Samsung LCD. Perfectly happy.

However...

SD DVDs are problematic. The 1080p upconvesion is decent, but my old Oppo 720p upconverting DVD player looks a little better. But that's not the main problem... IT STUTTERS!!! Every 20-30 seconds the picture seems to loose a few frames. It is extremely annoying to the point of unwatchable.

Do I have a bad unit or is this the kind of crap I can expect from a low-end player?

Thanks for any info!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by soop.spoon

Yeah, it happens with every SD DVD. But I've yet to see a skip on a Blu disc. Weird.

If your Blu-ray player's SETUP menu allows it, ensure that your DVD upconversion is set to 1080p/60 Hz. It may be setup for 1080p/24 Hz by default. There could also be a problem with your "3:2 Pulldown". Ensure that that's set to "AUTO".

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Well... now I'm even more confused.

I explicitly set the DVD upconversion to 1080p, but I couldn't find a way to set the Hz. My Samsung display claims it is getting a 24Hz signal from film DVDs, but 60Hz from video DVDs and menus and logos.

There's no mention of 3:2 pulldown in the DVD menus.

What the frack is going on here?!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by soop.spoon

Well... now I'm even more confused.

I explicitly set the DVD upconversion to 1080p, but I couldn't find a way to set the Hz. My Samsung display claims it is getting a 24Hz signal from film DVDs, but 60Hz from video DVDs and menus and logos.

That's actually what it should be doing. You could try backing the DVD upconversion down to 1080i to see if that helps with your "stuttering". That would definitely lock it to 60 Hz.

If you're still experiencing the stuttering at that point then I would check for a firmware update.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Couldn't get this to stop so I exchanged the player for the Panasonic BD65.

I am MUCH happier with the Panasonic. No stuttering and the menus are much more sane. The PQ for standard DVDs also looked better to me, but that's hardly a scientific observation.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

(Now I need help with the BD65 not staying in 24p mode for DVDs, but I'll open a new thread for that...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks