What's new

Sony 36XBR800 or Panasonic CT-36HX41?? (1 Viewer)

BrentB

Grip
I have a choice of purchasing either a 'NEW' Sony 36XBR800(stand included) for $2000 or a new,'Demo' Panasonic CT-36HX41 for $995.

Either way, I'm moving up to a 36" HD set (Cox provides the HD set-top box for an additional $7 per mo.)

Right now, I watch 95% PPV TV movie channels as well as the occasional DVD(which I'm sure will increase with the purchase of the new HD set)

My thinking is that things will change in a big way in 3-4 yrs. down the road when most of the material available will be wide-screen and I'll lay out the $$ then for a "good, large" wide-screen plasma set(or whatever the best happens to be at that time)

For now, I can get the 'better' Sony or I can get the 'good Panasonic for $1000 less(to be saved now and spent down the road on a really good wide-screen set )

Is the Sony really worth the extra $1000 over the Panasonic?
OR, should I save the $$ now, go with the Panasonic and be happy I got a good 36" HD set for $1000?

Any thoughts or help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not going into Sony's pricing policies here, but two things you should bear in mind: 1) Open-box/demo units are a big, big risk (you have no idea how the thing has been operated—most likely left on for twelve hours per day and operated in torch mode), and 2) the Panasonic does not have a 16:9 vertical-compression mode for widescreen 480p sources.

Get the Sony.

Vin

Supporting Actor
the Panasonic does not have a 16:9 vertical-compression mode for widescreen 480p sources.
Actually Jack, I believe it does, however, the new CT-36HX42 only does the squeeze on 1080i source material....see this post.

As far as buying a demo, I couldn't agree more with your concerns.

Vin

BrentB

Grip
Is there any way of finding out how long a unit has been on the floor as a demo?

I asked one of the employees(not the one I was dealing with) and they said it had only been on the floor for about a month. (Obviously, this would make a big difference if it had been on for a month, as opposed to 6-12 months)

Do most big chains have records that would allow me to find out how long it has actually ,honestly been on display?

Saving a $1000 would be worthwhile to me if the set was 'relatively' new(a month or two).

This would play a big part in my decision.

Again,any help would be appreciated.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The salespeople are going to tell you whatever it is they think you want to hear. And it does not take long for torch mode to cause damage to a CRT. It just isn't worth it to buy a demo-model TV.

BrentB

Grip
Well,it comes with an 'as new' warranty.
With their warranty program,if it required 3 repairs,they HAVE to give you a current model.
(I know.They just gave me a credit for $350 for a rcvr. I bought in 1998 as it required a 3rd repair)

If I could just find out how long it was actually a demo, it would would help in making the right decision a LOT easier.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well I just bit the bullet and bought a demo 36XBR800 for 1200 bucks. I just couldn't pass it up. I know the risk, but what the hell.

I am wondering what Torch mode is. Is this with the brightness all the way up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks