What's new

Sony 36XBR450 - Is progressive scan DVD player redundant? (1 Viewer)

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
JasonRH,
I have an 36XBR400 which I use with both a Dreamcast and a PS2. IMHO the games look incredible.
By way of comparison I used to use my Dreamcast exclusively with the VGA adaptor and a 17" monitor. After getting the XBR and hooking the Dreamcast up via a S video cable, I haven't gone back. It is nearly identical in quality which was really surprising.
The PS2 hooked up via compnent cables is really a treat. Much, much nicer looking than anything you've seen before.
Hope that helps.
Kip

JasonRH

Second Unit
Kip,
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. I found out that the Nintendo Gamecube will have a digital output port that sends out a progressive signal via component video cable. That should be interesting to see.
Allan,
I tested a model today for white uniformity and it was much better than non-xbr models. I decided to buy it as it was only in store and running for a maximum of 7 hours at the hideously high contrast levels in the factory presets - even that makes me cringe. Does anyone know if that is enough time to cause any type of phosphor burn-in??
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll let you know how the set works out. I think I'm going to get a Panasonic Tau 36-inch stand for the 32XBR-450. It's $100 less than the sony stand, a similar color to the set but,mostimportantly, it has wheels! Any other ideas for a stand to accomodate a 32XBR-450?
I'm glad you're all happy with your sets - many people go through numerous flawed Wegas in order to get a decent one (like me).

Mike E W

Agent
On my XBR400 I get a better picture from the progressive output of my SD-9200. You need to give yourself time to adjust to the picture after calibrating with VE or Avia, the picture will appear soft until you get used to not having the artificial sharpening. You will soon notice that you are getting more real detail. Also the movie mode should be used for DVD viewing as there are changes in the service menu that make it best suited for watching DVDs. One last thing...it would seem that DRC may be active in some way when getting a progressive signal even though you see it disabled in the menu. There was some discussion on the AVS forum about this and in the end no one including the experts were sure. Dont know if this might have something to do with the XBR450 playing well with the RP91 or not. Having said all this your eyes are still the best judge but I wouldnt dismiss progressive players outright.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Mike,
Thanks for your input. I've had the RP91 for over a week now and have used it every day for several hours each day. (I'm on vacation now so I have lots of time on my hands. :)) I still find myself preferring the DRC, and yes, I did calibrate using the Movie Mode.
For instance, I found it easier to read the text on the books on the shelf behind Woody's back on Toy Story, chapter 4 with DRC. With the progressive output, every letter just looked fuzzier.
As for circles and angled lines, the RP91 was superior, but not by much. The DRC with CineMotion is a big improvement over the other two modes (Progressive and Interlaced). Lines and circles, especially with movement, are very jaggy using the first two DRC modes, but with CineMotion, they are much smoother.
As for whether or not DRC is still active when a 480p signal is being fed, I don't know. The DRC disappears from the menu altogether. I did experiment and switch between the three different DRC modes before turning on the progressive output of the RP91, and I didn't see any difference.
Like I said, the Panasonic RP91 is a nice player, but for me, it isn't worth the difference--not with this TV anyway. Up here in Canada, it cost me $990.66 after taxes. Almost a thousand bucks! I could use that money for more DVDs. Also, the Panasonic simply combs too much, in my opinion.
Perhaps I simply got used to the sharper image with DRC on, but to my eyes, I prefer it over a progressive scan output. I would, of course, encourage others to experiment as I did, and draw their own conclusions. In the end, I decided that $1000 is not worth it just to get slightly smoother lines and circles...

Mike E W

Agent
Yep, thats why I put that last line in there, nobody is a better judge of what you prefer than you. I dont have any experience with the RP-91, I might not like it on my set either. I was just pointing out that all players are not equal, mine has a sharper picture with the progressive signal. On cable or with the VCR I use the interlaced setting, seems to give the picture a subtle but noticable grainyness in the progressive mode.

RaulT

Auditioning
Allan,
I was playing around with the three DRC modes with a sattelite feed and didn't notice any difference. Am I suppose to?
Thanks

nousername

Supporting Actor
Raul,
The differences are very, very subtle. I personally do not see any differences between Interlaced and Progressive, but I do see a difference between those two and CineMotion, and only with DVD (I don't have satellite).
With DVD, it's easy to see because you can play the scene over and over. Watch for scenes with thin lines or circles, particularly when the camera is moving. For example, I look at things such as overhead power lines, wires, edges on car windows, doors, etc.
I mainly watch DVDs, so that's where I notice it, but it is very subtle, and you do have to look for it.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Mike E W,
May I ask what progressive scan player you are using? If it's still available, I may give it a try. I know in theory progressive scanning should be better, which is why I was disappointed with the Panasonic RP91...
Thanks!

nousername

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Mike. That looks like a nice DVD player. I'll check out the Toshibas in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks