Sony 36XBR450, Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I have pretty much decided on purchasing the Sony 36XBR40. I'm going to get it priced matched at sears for $1900 this weekend hopefully. I was deciding between this tv and the Panny 47 HDTV, but in the end I decided I watch alot of 4:3 DSS still and I don't want to use the stretch modes. So I wanted to know if anyone has any comments or suggestions or say their own personal review of this TV before I plunk the money down for this beast. Thanks in advance.
    ------------------

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I meant to say Sony 36XBR450, not 36XBR40. [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

I just got mine on Saturday. It is wonderful. None of the problems typical of the Sony Wegas. I had a XBR250 for a year and a half that had all the flaws. I can't find anything wrong with this set so far. Highly recommended from me! [​IMG]

4. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I just got my XBR450, and I too am very pleased with it. It is especially nice with Progressive Scan DVD playback. My digital cable is OK, but you can really notice any of the imperfections in the signal.
    The Sony PS2 looks absolutely incredible on it. The CineMotion DRC mode smoothes out some of the "jaggies" you can see in the games sometimes.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I love my 36XBR450. If you can get for $1900, they ought to lock you up! Enjoy it.
    -Chris

6. bently

bently Extra

life is short go for it!
    i've had my 36xbr450 for about 4 months now and i'm still amazed by the picture quality every time i watch my dvd movies!
    i have att digital cable and have no problem with the picture quality [​IMG]

7. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

the only thing I would add is that you might want to consider Sony or Toshiba's 43" 4:3 HD-ready RPTV's. You'll get a much bigger picture for the same price and most people concur that RPTV's give better resolution on HD since they lack the shadow mask of a direct view set.
    Like you, I watch too much 4:3 programming to warrant the widescreen purchase, but I don't think a 36" set will be a big enough increase from my current 32". The 43" projection set seems like the perfect fit for me.
    I will say that the XBR would definitely be my choice if I wanted a direct view, it's a beautiful set.
    good luck.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dan- As far as I know, Sears doesn't carry the XBR models at all. Well...they didn't carry the XBRs when I went to price-match my 32FV27 back in July.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

9. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I believe Sears only carries the 36HS20 which is very similar to the 36XBR450. [​IMG]

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I saw a Sony 36XBR model in Costco recently for $1999. Not sure which suffix it was but it looked d*mn good. But for a little more I would be looking at a larger set. Perhaps even front projection.