Sony 36XBR400 Problems, help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayM, Aug 22, 2001.

1. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Two problems and one question.
    1. Yellow Discoloration in the corners
    2. While in in letter box, the bottom black bar curves up slightly.
    Question: Can you set the squeeze alway on in the service manual, so i don't have to change it ever time i watch a DVD in progressive mode.
    If you have any solutions, please list them. Thanks

2. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    I heard of both those issues you mentioned, I did not have them with my set. Do you have speakers near the TV?
    As for setting 16:9 to always on, if you select "AUTO", if the DVD sends an 16:9 signal in the bit stream your TV will switch to 16:9. This works for DVD they are "enhanced for 16:9 displays". Those that are not, you will have to select "ON", to get 16:9 enhance mode. As a rule only buy DVD's that are "enhanced for 16:9 TV's".
    -Marshawn

3. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

My speakers are magnetically shielded, so they shouldn't be causing it, but just incase I pulled my TV away from them and the problems were still there.
    As for the squeeze, it does automatically squeeze while watching a dvd in interlaced mode, but once I watch it in progressive mode, it doesn't automatically do the squeeze, I have to manually do it. I know the XBR won't auto squeeze a 480p signal, my question is this. Is there a value in the service manual that I can change that will leave the squeeze on while watching a 480p signal so I don't have to change it all the time.

4. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Really, even with the 16:9 enhance mode set to AUTO? What do you have to do to unsqeeze a progressive signal? Do you have to go into the menu and set it to ON? I have the Denon 2800 Progressive player and I never have to set 16:9 to ON, 16:9 is set to AUTO, and if the DVD sends a 16:9 flag in the bit stream, my XBR picks that up and shows it in 16:9 (the unsqeezed picture). Now, if the DVD is not enhanced for 16:9 TV, then my XBR won't show it in the 16:9 enhance mode. Disney's Hercules is not a 16:9 enhanced DVD, so it does not come up in 16:9 enhance mode automatically. Could you check to see if the material your watching is enhanced for 16:9 displays? Name a few titles that you have this problem with. It maybe that titles are not enhance for 16:9 displays
    -MarshawnM

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

MarshawnM, In 480P mode the Auto/On menu becomes On/Off menu.
    -Dmitry

6. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Ok, i don't think i being clear about my problem, let me try again.
    This is how i have it connected. I have a progressive scan DVD player connected via component video to the xbr.
    I know that the xbr doesn't do the auto squeeze when receiving a 480p signal
    I know that when i watch a dvd in a 480p signal that i have to go to the menu and switch the 16:9 squeeze from off to on.
    I know that every time I watch a 480p signal i have to that.
    what i don't know is if there is a setting in the service menu that i can set so that, instead of the default of the 16:9 squeeze while watching 480p being off, i can switch to the default being on, so i don't have to switch it every time i watch a 480p signal. I want the squeeze setting to be always on when i watch a 480p signal through the component video ins (Progressive scan dvd player)
    hope that clears it up.

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Jay,
    I have the XBR-450 and the bottom bar on my letterbox curves downward about 1/4 inch more than the right side at the edge. I know there are adjustments for vertical lines but I don't think there are any to adjust horizontal geometry. Have you had any luck fixing yours?

8. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

I am still looking for a fix, no one seems to want to answer.
    I will let you know if and when i find one
    jason
    ------------------

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Jay,
    Have you been in the service mode on the tv? If so, what was your SBRT set at(if you checked)? I ask because I also have some uneven brightness and wanted to know what the correct value was supposed to be?
    I also have thin off colored "lines" that run vertically about 1/2 inch in from each side. Have you noticed this? I've seen it on both sets that I had. I'll let you know if I get a fix for the bowing, I've e-mailed other people. Thanks.

10. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

I have been in the service mode. I don't recall what my SBRT value is. I know that I have changed it from it's orginal setting, i just can't remember what.
    I have not noticed the other problems that you have mention, but keep updated on if you find the fix for them.

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I also own a Sony 36XBR400 while I don't have yellow spots on my screen I was told by a Sony tech that the XBR's picture tubes are very sensitive to magnetic fields. So you might want to try repositioning your speakers sheilded or not.