Sony 36XBR -800 problem...oh no!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Tedesco, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I have had this TV for about 3 months now and last night I'm watching a movie where it's a bright scene. Well wouldn't you know it, the top left corner of the screen has a slight green discoloration.

MAGNETS!!!

Was my first thought, but my speakers (front left,right and center) are video shielded. Plus my left and right are approx 1 1/2 feet away from the T.V. Center channel not even close.

So could it be the speakers within the T.V. that are causing this? I have a freind who has the 40 XBR 800 and his after 1 year as the same problem, only the botten left corner.

Has anyone heard of these models having issues like this?

I've called Tweeter and told them, they are supposed to get back to me but haven't yet. God I hope I don't get the run around on a T.V. this new.

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I heard once (great start to a post, right? [​IMG]) that the flat screen TVs occasionally have discoloration in the corners. I have a 32" Wega and the corners are slightly blue when a white scene comes on. Annoying? Yes. Overly Annoying? No.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

could just be signs of a bad tube also.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Change the position of the TV in the room and see if the discoloration remains.

Regards

5. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

It won't please you to hear this. I originally thought of buying a 36" 4:3 then a 34" 16:9 XBR but was scared away by reports like yours. From the postings I've read, the repair technician often places special "aligning" magnets strategically around the CRT to correct for the effects of stray magneticism. Good luck!

[​IMG]

6. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

God I hope not! I've called the customer support at Tweeters, they haven't been as responsive as I would have hoped. Maybe I'll get in touch with them tomorrow.

7. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

all i am saying is my tube has been replaced twice now beacuse of this problem.....it is alot better now but not perfect, (but no tv is perfect).