Sony 36HS500 replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dale.H, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Dale.H

Dale.H Auditioning

After spending way too much time researching 36”, direct view, HD-ready TVs, I bought a Sony 36HS500. Mainly because it supports the 16:9 squeeze (although doesn’t appear to work with 1080i), has a DVI input (just in case…) and appeared to have the most detailed picture of the other showroom models. After just 1 week, I have decided to return it. I noticed geometry and color problems immediately upon viewing moving video. Using Avia, I found the picture is off center, 10% over scanned on the left side, and has distinct vertical drop off (also on the left side). I can’t even come close to getting a decent red or green. Using the sharpness pattern, I determined the sharpness control does nothing! Using the contrast pattern, I can’t get a decent white without severe blooming, and evidently the power supply is inadequate. What a disappointment…

So, what are your recommendations for a replacement? I’m looking for something with a comparable feature set. It appears the Toshiba 36HF72 has 16:9 squeeze but not DVI and the JVC 36P903 has both. Anybody own one of those and care to comment? Any problems? Any other brands I should consider? Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Don't be so hasty, Dale. You might have a defective unit. Try an exchange first and then see what you get.

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Well, we have a 32HS500 and haven't experienced any of the problems you have encountered. It does squeeze both 480p and HDTV signals. We have a slight convergence problem on the left side, but it is only noticable if you have a grid up. Overscan is about 4% on ours, (all 4 sides equal). No problem with colors or getting a good white. It sounds like you need to exchange it or have someone do a service call. Or maybe we just got lucky with ours.

TimG