Sony 36" models...What's the difference??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sid Patel, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Sid Patel

Sid Patel Auditioning

Please enlighten me as to what the difference is between the following models in terms of picture quality. Is there a difference?

KV36FS100-found for $799 at ABT...this is the one I am leaning towards
    KV36FS210-$925 at ABT
    KV36FS310-$1025 at ABT

I'll be using a analog cable signal and the viewing distance is about 9 feet away.
    Thanks guys.[​IMG]

2. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i am note, but my brother just bought the 310 and it is not as clear of a picture as my jvc 36"

you can see the shadow mask dots on his sony alot more then on my jvc....that would annoy the hell outta me.....another reason i think sony is not as good as they claim....and overpriced.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

They all use the same tube, they should be the same quality-wise. What usually seperates models are these features:

- PIP (picture-in-picture)
    - automatic 16:9 anamorphic squeeze

Most of us here don't need those two, I opted for the cheapest 32" wega that sports none of those features and I've been happy ever since.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would also add to the difference list, Audio Watts, Speakers, Type Of Surround Sound Circuits, Inputs/Outputs, Type Of Comb Filter, Remotes & Cabinet Style. If you go to Best Buys website you can compare the 100 & the 210 using their COMPARE feature. You can then go to www.crutchfield.com & compare the 310 to them or try Sony's website you might be able to compare all the models over there. I'm also with Jeremy on this one, I'd take a look at the JVC AV-36FA44 or the Toshiba 36AF43. The picture on the 310 might be a little better, but again those Scan Lines plus the JVC & Toshiba have a 1 year Labor Warranty compared to Sony's 90 days. Just my 2 cents.

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

you think the picture is better on the 310?

i think those pixels/dots on the screen make the 310 look like junk.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I really haven't compared the Sony's against each other in the stores but I would think that the 310 might be better? just because of the 3D Comb Filter. But I have seen Sony's Scan Lines on different sets in friend's homes & they are there compared to my friend's that have JVC's or Toshiba's.

Sid, I just checked Sony's website www.sonystyle.com & you can compare all the models over there.

7. Sid Patel

Sid Patel Auditioning

Thanks guys. So would most of you suggest going for the comparable Toshiba over the Sony? I had always thought Sony had the best tubes? Am I wrong?

8. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i guess its a personal preference. like i said, the scan lines on the sony 310 looks like junk....i wouldnt want a tv like that.

i have always thought sonys were overpriced, but my next tv may be a sony, model 46wt510

i want a projection.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Sid, I don't think that anyone except yourself should decide on the Picture Quality of a set & what you might like. My suggestion would be to go to Sears because they carry all 3 brands & compare the Picture Quality for yourself. As I stated above I have friends that have all 3 brands & each of them is happy with the sets that they got. Now to really throw something into the mix, I would never spend that much money on an analog set now because I'd rather get a smaller size HDTV set instead but that's just me. [​IMG] So happy hunting & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

10. Sid Patel

Sid Patel Auditioning

Thanks Bill, I'll check out Sears.

Happy New Years everyone!